23 August, 2010

23 August, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Wellfleet, Mass
August 23, 1943 1 p.m.

Dear Girl,

Are my lips a bit sore? Yes, a little, but ah – so pleasantly! I trust you are well yourself, dear. Following your Dad’s careful directions, I managed to get on the right road home, arriving at camp just at midnight. I didn’t pick anyone up. I felt like riding along alone with my own thoughts, without interruptions, and really it seemed like no time at all before the ride was over. Of course, I didn’t have to stop thinking when I climbed into my cot. You know, it’s awfully nice thinking in bed, that is, if you’re thinking nice things – and I was thinking nice things.

Five forty-five a.m. came early in the morning for some strange reason. The motor convoys lined up on schedule (no, there were no photographers around) and the medical section pulled out at 7:14 or 0714. It was after ten when we got here, and before you knew it we were eating again. That just about brings me up to date.

But how about the past? Well, needless to say I had a very pleasant and happy week-end. Sunday was perfect, dear; it’s been a long time since my mind has been so completely free from problems of one sort or another, and the more I think of it the more amazed I am at the clean, refreshing stimulation you have given it. My own reactions to you should be more apparent and less enigmatic, and if you should wonder at some of the things I say or the way I say them, read into them the things you might like to read, perhaps, and you’ll be on the right track I assure you –

Today is clear & bright out here and we’ll certainly get some firing in this p.m. and evening. According to the ammunition officer whom I made a point of contacting as soon as we got here, if there are no rains, fogs, air-plane trouble etc – we have about 2-3 days firing, including the nights. That would bring us back to camp about Thursday, which would suit me to a T. One hitch has already developed, namely, my dental officer is sick in the hospital, having developed an intestinal disorder this week-end. He’s supposed to be out in time. However, dear, I’m not letting that worry me particularly. If we get back to Edwards, I’ll try to get someone to cover me, and I’ll tell the Colonel nothing. The big thing is to get out of Wellfleet by Saturday, so let’s have some good weather, please.

I’m using my Sergeant’s desk and he’s anxious to get started on some typing, dear, so I’m going to stop now. I’m already looking forward keenly to next week-end and it makes little difference to me what we do or with whom – as long as you’re with me. So until later on, dear – so long for now.

Love,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment