24 August, 2010

24-25 August, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Wellfleet, Mass
August 24, 1943 8:15 p.m.

Well dear -

I got back here to find that all the firing has been completed and that we leave for Camp Edwards at 0900 in the morning.

It was very nice talking with you, Wilma. I was anxious to contact you and felt (apparently with good reason) that I might miss you. Your letter wasn’t given to me until about 5 p.m. I was really glad to get it and would have been disappointed had it not come. Strange, isn’t it, when you consider that a month or so ago I wouldn’t have cared at all?

The inside of our Medical tent is illuminated by an army gasoline lantern. The trouble is that it’s brilliance waxes and wanes so that after a short while you find yourself blinking. I’ll continue writing until that happens and then finish up tomorrow.

I found your account of tan-getting amusing, particularly the wearing of a ring to check the degree. If you can only wait until the week-end, dear, I’ll let you compare your tan with mine, even if it means showing my torso. My! My!

I’m beginning to blink, dear, and besides – about 8 of the men are hanging around discussing everything from Stalin in Moscow to women in shorts. It’s getting difficult to concentrate. Bill Shea just dropped in and wants to go to Orleans. I had told him earlier that I wanted to go in and make a call, but as you now know I made it from Wellfleet. I don’t think I’ll go; I’m going to crawl into my tent and listen to the radio for awhile. Knowing the highways better than you, I’m going to think myself all the way back to Newton Center. So until tomorrow, dear, good-night.

Wednesday 9:20 a.m.
Still Wellfleet

Good Morning!

I’ve just had a swell swim and I feel fine. We’re packed and ready to go (10:10). The water was cold but the surf enticing. It was nice and cool sleeping here last night. I kept wondering whether or not the Boston storm had materialized, and if so, whether you got wet. At any rate it didn’t rain here. We aren’t scheduled to get into Camp until about 1 p.m. so that with the obstacle course, shower etc, it won’t be long before I ought to be having a steak at the Coonamessett Club. (Wish you could be along, dear.) In order not to get into trouble, I think I’ll call Frank Morse’s wife at Cotuit and take her out to dinner. He doesn’t get home very often now that he’s at Fort Andrews.

By the way, the enclosed picture turned up in the paper the other day. Of course we get in often, but I thought you might like to see it. Hereafter when I tell you we’re well known, notorious and newsworthy, I’ll expect the proper response. Surprise me.

I guess I’ll stop rambling now, and seal this up before we start moving. I hope you get to see the newly married couple, and if you get a chance, kiss the bride for me, will you? No – I’ll kiss her myself; no, no – I’ll kiss you instead. Yes – that’s what I mean.

I hope to leave for Boston as soon as possible on Saturday p.m. and I’ll call you from town when I arrive. Until that pleasant-to-look-forward-to moment, so long for now, dear.

Love
Greg

From: The Boston Daily Record, 23 August, 1943,
showing men of the 438th AAA, training at Camp Edwards

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment