03 August, 2010

03 August, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
August 3, 1943       9:40am

Dear Wilma,

Among other things, my ambulance has a front compartment which contains a box filled with sundry articles, including writing paper. This allows me to communicate with people wherever I happen to be. Today it is the firing range again, about 7 miles from camp. I’m still acting in the role of one waiting for a tragedy to happen. I sometimes wonder what the boys think when they see me preying upon them.

It’s really dull out here this morning, and already the past week-end seems to have slipped into the hazy past. My return trip Sunday was uneventful. Although I did manage to pick up three soldiers, they were little help in keeping me alert, for they fell asleep themselves.

Monday was a long day because after regular hours I had to sit on a Court Martial Board, of which I am a member. By the time we had finished doling out our brand of mountain justice, it was time for bed.

In the line of news, it looks as if we don’t go on this field problem after all, at least not this week. I plan to call you this evening and tell you most of this anyway. Right now, despite the fact that you no doubt are looking forward to a week-end or longer in the Adirondacks, I am hoping that you don’t go.

Further in the line of news is the fact that our readiness date (a term used in the Army to indicate when an outfit may ship out) has been postponed. This is not exactly a military secret, but my continual references to overseas was due to the knowledge that our previous readiness date was actually September first. Yesterday we were informed by Army Ground Forces in Washington that this has been changed to a later date. I think I’m pleased.

So much then for the chronicle. I’ll call you tonite, Wilma, and I look forward to seeing you again this week-end if you’re going to be in Boston.

Solong for now.

Sincerely,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment