31 August, 2010

30-31 August, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Mon. Aug. 30, 1943 0745

Hello dear !

I don’t know how far I’ll get with this but I think I’ll be able to get it into the mail before we leave. We’ve been out on reconnaissance and now we wait for a warning or March Order. When that comes we’re supposed to be able to move out in 10 minutes.

Arrived here at 11:55 p.m. – no rider. Slept well – as long as I could. Oh, dear – here it comes, everyone is moving around a little bit more quickly. Yup – March Order. Well I only wanted to tell you that I again had a very lovely week-end and that I’m glad your health improved so quickly. Dear – I’ll have to stop. So long for now. I’ll write first chance I get.

Love
Greg -


438th AAA AW BN
Somewhere on the Cape
August 31, 1943 0830
Wilma dear,

Yesterday was a full day and I was really tired when I went to my tent at 9:15 p.m. Of course by that time I had been wandering around in the dark for over an hour.

We were all over the Cape yesterday shooting down planes that were launched from several German carriers about 150 miles off Nantucket. It was a helluva battle, but when I awakened this morning, damned if our flag wasn’t ‘still there’, so I guess we beat them off.

Today or tonight we expect an attack on the Hyannis Airport, and to its defense, our trustworthy outfit has been assigned. We will not move into position until after dark, and we’ll have to dig in once we get there. As a side attraction we’re running a little scientific experiment on fatigue. Each officer & man will be given 30 mgs of Benzedrine Sulfate – otherwise known as Amphetine. Pulse, respirations & other signs will be recorded. The effect is supposed to be that the soldiers can keep going all nite, and without food, too, and yet be fresh in the morning. I’ll take my share, too, tonite, but remember dear – if I’m tired on the week-end, I’ll blame it on Tuesday nite.

Meanwhile I have to go on further reconnaissance for tonight’s move. We’re in full field attire, and the actual list of accouterments making up what we wear and carry would even put to shame a Knight of Sir Arthur’s Table, – but not in gallantry, I’m afraid. “Oh Elwain! Oh Elwain! Wouldst take fair Guinevere’s hand in marriage ritual, but wouldst thou wage battle for the honour?” (The ‘u’ in honour is Old English of course.) He answers ‘yes’ – and then follows a bloody battle, in which 3 knights are slain, Guinevere faints, and the Maids in waiting sigh deeply – as was the custom in those days. Do you think any one ever wrote anything like that? I don’t.

Where was I? Here I am back in the woods of the Cape again. It’s really pretty out here this morning. I think it will probably get quite warm before the day is over.

I told Charlie the difficulty I had in getting a place for him next Saturday. (Actually I tried 2 places, as you know.) At any rate he was thankful and looked forward to getting into town. He’s never been to Boston. And he wants to spend the evening with us.

I suppose, dear, you’re getting ready to go back to school – as you intimated in your last letter. I envy you. Some of the best days I ever spent were at school, particularly in the Fall.

That reminds me of the ditty:

          There was a young man named Hall
          Who in the Spring had a fall
          Had he died in the Spring
          T’would have been a fine thing
          But he didn’t, he died in the Fall.

Now if you can make any point out of that, you’re welcome, dear.

Anyway – our own state of affairs, i.e. the battalion’s & not yours & mine – is fast coming to a head, from what I was able to gather from the Adjutant yesterday morning. It appears that our readiness date of October first may really be adhered to. If so – I’m going to feel badly about leaving this vicinity, believe me. I felt differently a couple of months ago, but right now, I’d be content to just hang around for a long time. How soldierly of me! The truth is, and I believe most boys feel the same way, that we feel the sooner we get over, the quicker we get back; if that is so – I can’t wait!

I better make some attempt at ending this letter, dear, or I’ll be counted among the missing. I guess I’ve told you most of the news. I don’t know when this letter will get off to you, but I’ll do my best – and if there’s any opportunity, I’ll write again. So long for now – and

Love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment