09 August, 2010

09 August, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
August 9, 1943       4:45pm

Dear Wilma –

I’ll only get started today, writing this, and will probably finish tomorrow. In about 15 minutes I must join the Colonel’s staff in review of our battalion parade. We have them every other week or so, and it’s just more of the Army’s pomp and circumstance which Army men love so much. But there’ll be a band, banners etc. and that will compensate somewhat.

Following that comes the evening meal, officer’s school and you guessed it – bed-rest! Incidentally, Col. Pereira remembered your Dad immediately upon mention of his name and recounted a few episodes relative to the “old school days”.

I got over to Jamaica Plain about 10:15 and we took off at 10:25, arriving here at mid-night – not without incident, however. Wilma – I hate to tell you this, but we’ll have to knock the price down to – say $575! About 5 miles from Camp, the windshield suddenly got covered with a watery substance which my keen diagnostic powers quickly told me was radiator water. We got back here all right, but this a.m. a leak in the radiator was very evident. So – I took care of it immediately and it’s now thoroughly all right. I’ll have to stop now. The Colonel’s car awaits without –
Still Monday – 7:40 p.m.

Hello – the parade is over and I started working on next week-end. Well I couldn’t start any earlier, could I? Our program calls for a short field problem this week – early Thursday a.m. to Friday evening, & then the infiltration course on Saturday. I hinted about how late we might be on Saturday and the Colonel obligingly informed me that if he had anything to do with it, we wouldn’t get off too late. So everything looks fine so far. I hope you’re pleased.

You know, if I keep writing, I’ll soon have enough material for a letter – But not before a little retrospect over this past week-end which remains so vividly clear in my mind’s eye. I don’t have to conjure up the Goddess of Memory at all. Really, though, Wilma, it’s been very pleasant – these past week-ends with you, pleasant to the point of exhilaration – whatever in the world that is. I believe it’s good, though. I hope, only, that some measure of the good company you have afforded me was returned through me. The fact that I look forward immediately after a week-end in your company to the next one means a great deal to me when I analyze the feeling. I hope you know what I mean –

This week I shall be a good boy, I believe, and get some sleep. I’ve got to store my energies for Saturday & Sunday. Get some studying done, if you can, and here’s to seeing you soon –

Love and Kisses
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment