06 September, 2010

06 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Wed. Sept 6, 1943    0720

Wilma dear -

It seems as if I can always manage to jot down a few words Monday mornings. This a.m. we’ve been delayed because of another convoy which started out ahead of us. So again I’ll attempt to write as much as I can before we pull out.

To say that I feel fine, dear, would be to handle the truth carelessly; however I think before this day is over I’ll feel much better – because this is the 3rd day of my so-called illness and that ought to spell ‘finish’.

I got back to camp uneventfully, albeit very tired. I’m afraid I acted that way most of the week-end dear. It’s really unusual for me to feel that way and I’m sure you won’t see me like that again for at least 2-3 years. By the way – the apples & the pear helped considerably in sustaining my energy. I didn’t finish the last of it until I was near Stoughton. My plan at first was to eat the two apples and then the pear. Then I was going to eat the pear first, followed by the 2 apples. (All this deliberation used up 4 miles.) Finally the only logical and sensible solution became obvious, i.e. an apple, a pear and an apple. What would you have done?

Charlie and wife got back to the Cape via (pronounced vee-a) Route 28. He wandered about most of the day, and in the late p.m. they took a buggy ride around town and found it enjoyable.

Dear, they’re about to start out immediately – I won’t even have a chance to mail this from here. Will write later in the day. Will you wait?

Later in the day, but
not much       0815
Hello again –

This convoy has proceeded about the distance from your garage to Mandalay Road. Every soldier and his buddy who can drive a truck – seems to be out driving today. No wonder there’s no gas. Every road from Camp is blocked – so we’re just sitting – or setting as New Englanders are wont to say – and waiting.

I should be in a bad mood this morning. For 14 months my detachment hasn’t had one AWOL – but I have one now. One of my twins goofed off to Patterson, N.J. and hasn’t been seen since Saturday p.m. It spoils our good record, and since he’s a fellow who has acted up from time to time – I’m going to have him court-martialed. I’m usually not very vindictive, but if he isn’t punished – someone else will take off.

But I’m not in a bad mood despite the above – and it must be because I’m writing to you (Mushy). Of course all my boys suspect whom I’m writing early these mornings, just as they know who writes me – because when my mail is delivered to me, I’m told before-hand where the letter is from, the handwriting, address etc. Here we go again – write later –

1450
Wellfleet

Well, dear – that was a long pause and we had a little excitement since I wrote you earlier. A civilian car struck one of our trucks at Yarmouthport. A sailor and his girl were badly ‘banged’ up. After administering some first aid at the roadside – we drove them by ambulance to the Cape Cod Hosp. at Hyannis. It was all I could do to keep from doing a little of the sewing up – but of course a civilian M.D. had to do it – a Dr. Vail who knows W.G. Phippen quite well. We had a nice chat, anyway. It was noon when I left the hospital – so I took my driver and 2 aid men downtown and we are – killing another 45 minutes.

Out here it’s foggy and windy – but I believe we’ll do night flying anyway.

This certainly must rate as a disconnected letter, dear – but – you understand. It should convey to you, though, how many different times of the day I think of you. By the way, you haven’t developed a cold, have you? I trust not. After all, I wouldn’t want you to upset my theory.

I’m sending 3 sick boys into camp right now & the letter with them – so this should go out this evening or early in the a.m. If you do get this in time – take with it my best and sincerest wishes for a very pleasant semester at school. That’s all for now, solong, and

Love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment