11 September, 2010

11 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 11, 1943    1010

Wilma dear -

Last nite I was very very blue. I’d have given a lot to see you or even talk with you. I was half tempted to call you about 8 o’clock or so but I wasn’t sure whether you’d be in or not. We got in from Wellfleet about 2300 Thursday nite and starting with Friday a.m. – it’s been a three ring circus here. I guess we’re pretty hot as they say in the army, and there’s a lot of things to get done before we move out of here. I’ve got a fair idea of where we’re going – but I can’t write about it. I’ll tell you when I see you next, dear.

Here it is Saturday a.m. and I don’t care whether I go off this noon or not. I got a card from Stan stating he has a date with Shirley after work tonite & that they’d be glad to have me join them. Some how I don’t feel like doing that. Your absence would be all the more apparent to me. I guess I’ll just hang around. One of the boys is coming in to Boston and I may stag it around with him. He’s from Omaha & has never been to Boston. No, he’s not Jewish, dear.

The last letter I received from you stated you wouldn’t be home until the 25th. I hope you change your mind.

I certainly will call your folks when I get in. I’ll tell you a secret, – I had half a mind to do so anyway. All traces of my cold are gone now, dear and it’s a shame I can’t do anything about it this week-end – if you know what I mean – If we can ever get this war over with in due time, I’ll have a lot of catching up to do.

I’m glad about Sinatra, dear, really I am. He’s tough competition and I sometimes become afraid. Your reassurance makes me feel like singing right now, but there’s no one to sing to. I’ll just practice anyway.

By now you must be all matriculated, or some such thing. I wish I could be up there with you. Maybe I’ll get a chance to visit.

Well – I’ve got to go back camp; give a few more inoculations. I’m in the cab of a 2½ ton truck right now. (I always like to get some Romantic spot when I write you, dear.) Hope to hear from you later this morning and I plan to mail this soon so that forsooth this may reach you Monday a.m. Until I write again, so long, dear, and remember – I’m thinking of you.

Love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment