13 September, 2010

13 September, 1943

This post card was written early in the morning, followed by a letter later in the morning. The front of the postcard was edited to remove last names...

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE



438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 13, 1943      1045

Dearest Wilma -

With some more skin off both knees and elbows I’m finally back and clean enough to write you. This was a different infiltration course, supposedly more difficult – so I tried it. It wasn’t bad except for the dynamite charges. One went off right next to my right ear. It shook my helmet, head and body but didn’t do any more. We all had headaches when we got thru.

We then had a competitive road test and physical endurance problem – and I’m through with that. I’m afraid dear my physical status is being developed more than my mental. Anyway, I’m too late for the dentist today & will go tomorrow.

In the way of medical work for the next several days is the question of examining every man in the battalion for question of overseas duty. The P.O.E. surgeon does not examine men now. It’s all left up to us. Aside from all that, I’m left with my thoughts too, dear.

Well, to go back over the week-end, Pete and I spent Saturday nite together in a syncopated movement i.e. from bar to bar. But I got home about 12:45 a.m. or should I write 0045.

Sunday a.m. I lolled around, dug out my clarinet & managed to squeak out “People Will Say etc”; also “You’ll Never Know etc.” About 4 p.m. I met Pete at the Copley, had a quick martini (very dry – & I had to ask for an olive!) and headed for, guess where – yes – Salem. I had heard that Dr. Finnegan was ill & I wanted to see him. He was about to be discharged from the hospital the next day, having had a bout of infectious jaundice.

Mrs. Tucker’s was the next stop & she was in, as was Barbara too. The next thing after saying ‘hello’ – was to inquire as to who you were, etc. Maude had mentioned you – No, dear, I didn’t say you were my cousin – Oh – and Mrs. Tucker gave me $17 (seventeen) dollars in cash some patient brought in – apparently a balance from a tonsillectomy I had done on a kiddo.

After that I saw the Kerrs, elder & younger. The younger, Ethel, also wanted to know more about you, thought you were very sweet, regular, and wanted you to come down again. The child’s operation is so far successful, by the way.

We then headed for Boston & Edwards & got in at 11:30.

Calling you Saturday, dear, was indeed a pleasure. I didn’t know whether I should or not, but I’m glad I did. Barring any unforeseen at this moment complications – I’m looking forward to driving up this week-end. Peterson is a swell guy and you’ll like him. He’s Catholic, although I don’t think it matters particularly whom you get for him as long as she’s nice. If we go – we’ll leave at noon and I suppose it will take all of 5 hours to get there. If there’s a decent hotel around, get us a room with twin beds, unless it is customary to stay some other place.

Your letters, dear, have been very sweet and very welcome. I certainly enjoy hearing from you and believe me, dear, I appreciate and look forward to every one of your letters. The Germans had a way of expressing that feeling in the phrase “Ich ache mit Freude an” – Concerning my letters to you dear, I want you to know that I certainly enjoy writing to you and shall continue to do so as frequently as I can as long as you want me to. Remember always that if there’s ever a lapse it will be due to circumstances beyond my control. Right now there shouldn’t be many lapses, but unfortunately I understand that often from overseas – letters come in bunches rather than spaced. I guess I’ll have to use a number system on the outside of the envelope so you’ll know the correct order. We’ll see

I’m glad, dear, the girls like the bars and I’m proud that you’re wearing them. As for the girls calling you ‘Greg’ – that’s something else again. Anyway it makes me feel very well.

S o here I am near the end of the letter and I haven’t told you how much I’ve missed you in the short time that you’ve been gone. Since I’ve met you, dear – this is actually the longest time between seeing you. But you must know that I miss you, you must gather it in everything I say and write. If you do – there must exist a bond between us and if that is so – why – I’m happy. Solong for now, dear – I’ll write soon and really, you have my

Love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment