14 September, 2010

14 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 14, 1943    0905

Wilma dear –

I’m sitting around the tent stove this morning, smoking and relaxing – today being a much more restful day than yesterday. I didn’t hear from you yesterday, dear, but no doubt I will today. (Here comes my coke and Herald.) That’s routine by the way when the ambulance returns from the hospital each morning.

Last evening, after officers’ school – a couple of us went to a GI movie on the post and saw ‘My Kingdom for a Cook’, with Charles Coburn and a couple of others. It was a fair comedy, nothing more. We got out at 2200 and I went to bed shortly afterward.

This morning I’ve got a few administrative things to take care of and in the p.m. we’re going to do some final physicals. News came in that our machine gunners had another allotment of ammunition (60,000 rounds) and that we would have to go to Wellfleet again – Wednesday. I was quite disconcerted at this but on further investigation (I sometimes do S2 work) I find that 1) only part of the battalion will go 2) there probably will be another battalion out there with its M.D. who will cover us – and 3) even if that is not so, we would only be gone for 2 days. Well naturally, dear – I felt better. Now all I have to do is get someone to cover me for the week-end and I’ll be all set.

On sick-call today I questioned a couple of boys who came from Springfield & who drive home occasionally. I figured they knew as short a way as any. Well I only held the line up for 15-20 minutes but I managed to learn that the best way to go from here is thru Providence, thence to Putnam, Conn. --> Sturbridge etc.  According to one of the boys it’s only about 125 miles that way. By Boston – it would be nearer 150 –

By now dear you must be having regular classes, with 10 minute breaks, a quick smoke, books under your arms, sweater & skirt and everything that goes to make college life what it is. Boy how I envy you! Enjoy a little of it for me, will you dear?

I still plan to call you 7:30 p.m. Thursday. If there’s a delay it will be due to congested lines. I’ll start about 7:20. Right now, dear, I have to go inspect kitchens and make a few other attempts at earning my pay. So until later on dear – I’ll say solong for now. I’ll be seeing you soon I hope.

My love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment