15 September, 2010

15 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 15, 1943    0715

Wilma dear –

To put it mildly, Noah and his party were in a drizzle compared to what the heavens are giving us this morning down here on the Cape. The Stygian cave was a ball-room compared to the light in our medical tent and all in all it is the wettest, messiest day we’ve had on the field since Christ was a Corporal.

If this letter stays dry dear, I’ll be surprised, but I’ll try to get a few lines out this a.m. before I go to work. I’ve heard from you very regularly this week, dear – once the week got started. It’s really been wonderful to look forward to a certain letter & then to get it. Your account of the early days of a college semester brings back many fond memories to me, dear, and it makes me realize that when this is all over and things develop as I hope they do – that we’ll have so many many enjoyable things to talk about. There’s still a thousand things or incidents for each of us to tell the other about ourselves. Do you agree? Of course, dear, it may take me alone 6-8 years to tell you some of the things about myself, but we could take that in stride, dear, couldn’t we? Or even call a truce, I suppose.

Whatever got me on that track? I’d better hurry it I want to get this out. Yesterday was just another day & as is usual – in the evening we went to the movies. I was surprised. We take in every show, regardless, & last nite Skelton in “I Dood It” was the picture. Well his program & he always made me sick; also his previous pictures. Last night’s was surprisingly funny in parts and altogether it made a light, if pointless, comedy.

Your Latin teacher sounds interesting, even though the amount of Latin you learn seems questionable. But I found when I was at school that it wasn’t the course that counted, but the person giving it. If you can pick up an education by broad discussion, spontaneous reading, and unregimented thought – I think you get a background that lasts.

Dear – I’ve rambled a bit but there’s a good bit going on in the tent this a.m. in the line of distraction. I’ve got to run along now – but let me say again the week is very slow for me. Oh – thanks for the invitation of the 25th. Naturally dear – I want to be counted in if you’re going. That’s all, dear, for now. So long

And + + + Love
Greg
P.S. The + = plus & not a kiss which I
believe should never be represented
except in the material.
        G.

No comments:

Post a Comment