16 September, 2010

16 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 16 - 1943    0815

Dear –

This is just to have you get some mail Friday a.m. In view of the fact that I intend calling you this evening I shall not go into detail about my activities as of yesterday.

My! My! That was quite a business-like introductory paragraph, wasn’t it? All right, I’ll be more personal. By the way, dear, I didn’t hear from you yesterday – so I hope to today. Yesterday was a bad day here, as I’ve already implied. Charlie went to Wellfleet and I had to do the physicals alone. I was punch-drunk by 2 p.m.

This a.m. I have a crowd waiting for me at Bldg 1145 – up the road a piece – you know I wanted to jot down a few lines to let you know dear that I was thinking of you.

Everything at the present time looks to be all set for Saturday noon – so watch out. Hope you have reservations – so we can drive right to them and clean up a bit. Will find out tonight, I guess. I’m writing faster and faster and if I didn’t take the time to write these last couple of lines, just think, dear – I might have been on my way – but not me. I hate to waste paper – so I looks outside & tells them to wait (historical present is always more dramatic the Greeks always said) and anyway here I am when I should be there – and, so, dear, without further ado I think I’ll say adieu for now – if you’ll only excuse me – huh?

Really, dear – I can’t wait until Saturday and – well never mind for now. Here’s the bottom of the page and I must be off.

So long dear and
      Love
         Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment