20 September, 2010

20 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 20, 1943    1030

Dearest Girl,

I didn’t think I could get around to writing you so early in the day, but there seems to be a break in the continuity of commotion just now and I’m taking full advantage of it.

But to start at the beginning, dear, let me tell you first what a perfectly pleasant week-end I had. As a matter of fact I believe I told you, but it seemed even more perfect in retrospect and I want you to know that. It was all too short, unfortunately, but I suppose we must be thankful for what we get and not complain.

Your suggestion as to our return trip, dear, was very good. It was only 23 miles to Palmer and it seemed that we arrived there in about no time. The road was good, too. We arrived here at 0020 which was very good time, totaling 3 ¾ hours together with all stops; not bad. That afforded us a reasonably good night’s sleep, although I must admit I could have slept a little later than 0545 this morning. Tonight, anyway, I’ll be in bed by 2000.

Back in camp this morning, dear, there’s nothing particularly new in the line of rumors, which in itself is somewhat unusual for this battalion. After sick call this a.m., I examined a few officers for overseas status and then brought my results up to the Triple A TC surgeon’s office (antiaircraft artillery training center). I believe I won’t go to see the dentist today, dear, since as a result of an impartial poll – the odor of onion was still quite detectable on my breath. I’ll go tomorrow without fail. Incidentally it was noble of you to take a couple of bites of onion, dear, and don’t think I wasn’t appreciative of it. True love was never put to a more trying test, and you came thru with flying colors.

Your girl friends dear were or should I say are swell and I don’t blame you for being so fond of them.
1335

As I was saying – (Several things turned up, dear, and this is the first opportunity to start anew. I told you I couldn’t write until the p.m.!) Both Shirley and Betty seem to be excellent companions – and you were right, Lester and Betty are certainly in love. I hope they’ll be happy.

And how about us, dear? I know this – that I was perfectly happy and content every moment I was with you this week-end – just as I have wherever or whenever I’ve been with you. And I don’t think you have to trouble to call it this word or that; it speaks for itself dear – and I think you know what it means. You do, don’t you?

I could leave a space right here so you could think over what I just wrote – but you can wait until the end of the letter if you like dear.

By the way – do you like my personalized stationery? Not to be outdone by you – I thought I’d beat you to it. No hard feeling, huh?

Gosh, dear, I’ve got to stop now and get a couple of more things done. Besides I want to play with my new Scout knife – just like all the boy scouts have. Ooh boy! They’re really a necessity and I just managed to get one. It came today – from N.Y.

Dear that’s all for now except that if I didn’t seem very appreciative of the socks you so thoughtfully made for me – it was not due to lack of appreciativeness (or appreciation), you know that. They’re dandy – or peachy as some people say – and I’ll certainly enjoy wearing them.

So long dear and I’ll write again –

Love
Greg
Regards to the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment