22 September, 2010

22 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 22, 1943    1034

Wilma dear,

I’m starting fairly early this morning but I don’t know how far I’ll get. Today is just like last Wednesday, a drip of a day, but we’re fairly well covered here and I don’t mind too much. It’s a good day to write letters, but I’m kind of lazy about it. When I get thru writing to you dear, and a card to my folks – that’s about all I care to do. I owe Johnnie Johnson (former adjutant), & Col Pereira letters, as well as a friend of mine in Alameda, Calif, and a doctor at Pearl Harbor. I guess I’ll wait till I’m confined more before I write.

Yesterday evening, after being fortunate in getting the necessary parts – as I wrote you, a mechanic fixed my wheel. Everything is fine now and the other wheels are O.K. also – so raise the price again, dear – will you, please? Boy! I’m getting my ‘pleases’ in there. The mechanic got thru about 7 p.m. and for some reason or other I felt like talking with you, dear, and I was keenly disappointed when I found you weren’t in. My first message was that no one was in. Then whoever answered dug up Judie; I believe it was she who wore the head shawl. Anyway she told me where you were and why and seemed very solicitous about my contacting you. Thank her for me. And that’s how I arranged to call you at 2000 – and it was worth waiting for –

Your letter, dear, just came in and I’ve read it. It’s a great help for a gloomy day and I was indeed looking forward to it. You say you come right out with what you feel in your letters. Yes, you do – but that’s one of the things I like about you. Then you write that you’re tempted to say more but don’t because you feel I may think you sentimental. Now dear you know I’d never think that; you know I’m very sentimental myself; you didn’t think so at first, I know, but you should now – because one way or another I think I too have made myself clear. I think I’ve been very clear and direct and you must know by now how I feel about you. What you mean by ‘fearing a misunderstanding’ I don’t understand myself. Why should I misunderstand you, dear, and about what? I guess we’ll have to talk that over. As for your having to read between the lines, as it were, in my letters – if you do, it’s because I’ve always been less expressive than most people, and certainly less so than some fellows you’ve mentioned. But dearest – you know what I mean and what is more, you’ll continue to know; furthermore I’m sincere.

Dear I hope you’re taking care of your cold, getting plenty of sleep and getting plenty of rest. I hope this reaches you before you take off for home – and I do miss you very much. Here’s to the week-end and you, dear. Until then,

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment