27 September, 2010

27 September, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Sept 27, 1943    0720

Darling -

Je vous Ă¢ime beaucoup, but beyond that I’m in no dilemma, dear. By the time noted above, you should know that sick-call is now on. They’re streaming in in droves, the tent is crowded and someone is always asking questions – but by gum, dear – I’m bound to get this out in the a.m. mail so that you can get this tomorrow instead of Wednesday.

The moment your train pulled out I began to miss you terribly dear. I got home about 7:20, dear, and had a nice chat. They (the folks) thought you were swell, liked you immediately and admired your friendliness. Darling – from that quarter you have nothing to worry about.

A short time after I got home your mother called. She had got to worrying about you, your train etc. &  your father finally insisted that she call and get her mind satisfied. I did my best to do that for her and I believe she felt better.

I left for camp about 2045 and drove easily and by myself. I didn’t find the ride long or tedious. I felt happy in my thoughts about us, dear, wonderfully happy, and believe me, despite things I’ve told you about other girls – I have never felt so content, so stimulated, so proud. I’ll always feel that way about you – and more so.

Darling I really shouldn’t attempt to write a serious letter when I can’t be alone and quiet – but there’s some things I want to write over and over again.

This a.m. I’ll be pretty busy checking up on some of our boys at the hospital – question of their discharge before we leave. But whatever I do – my step will be springy and my spirit light, dear – because I’m very happy.

I’ll have to quit now, dear – or this won’t get out. I’ll call you – perhaps tonite, certainly Tuesday – about 1900 probably. Take care, dear – and I hope to see you soon. Regards to the girls – and

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment