06 October, 2010

06 October, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Oct. 6, 1943    0715

Dear Sweetheart –

Again I’ll try an early start, but I know I’ll end up in a dead heat with the first out-going mail. However it’s worth it, dear, if the letters get to you early. Your letter yesterday p.m. was very sweet, dear, as are all your letters as a matter of fact. I always admired your frankness and you carry it forward in your writing. That’s good. A good many people have different styles – in speaking and writing, and that leads to artificiality. There’s one thing, Sweetheart, that I’m sure about us – and I know you long enough to be sure – there’s nothing artificial in our relationship, and I hope you feel the same way. You must, dear, or you could never react the way you do.
0835

Darling – At 0745 we had a battery commanders’ meeting and I had to attend. Several things were taken up but most important, dear, was the fact that we have not yet received anything more definite than what you already knew – and in view of the fact that a certain amount of days should be allowed beforehand, it would seem that I’ll be around a few days more, at least. As to passes etc., I still don’t know, but I honestly can’t see why we shouldn’t be allowed some time off. Of course – Saturday is Yom Kippur – but since I couldn’t get the morning off anyway – the Lord will forgive me I’m sure if I took off for your section of the country on Saturday p.m. Is this idle dreaming? I suppose so, but I see no great harm. You know dear, if I could see you again before going away, and we said our “so-longs” again – we’d really become inured to saying “farewell, until we meet again”; it’s been twice already. That alone, darling, puts me way ahead of the nearest competitor, doesn’t it?

You did please me, dear, in what you told me on the phone – and I shall enjoy reading it just as much. That I feel proud about such a reaction on your part goes almost without saying; that I feel the same way – has already been said by me. Naturally I don’t feel that you should necessarily continue to act that way; don’t get me wrong, darling; nothing would please me more; I’m merely trying to be reasonable. At any rate I’m glad you’re not going out with that doctor, whoever he is. I don’t like young doctors! As for me – I like girls, but their first names have to be Wilma, their last – B--------d; they must be Seniors at Holyoke, & live at 99 M------y Rd. Oh – and they have to be sweet and lovable, and like Salem. If I ever meet a girl like that, by gum I’ll marry her!

As I told you, dear, I saw ‘Thank Your etc.’ and “Claudia”. Both were very good. In the former – Bette Davis sings “They’re Either Too Young or Too Old” – and does a nice job. “Claudia” has some fine parts to it, with dialogue and little speeches at parts that I wish I could speak sometimes.

Tonite is party nite in our outfit. Charlie and I bought some Ron Virgin Rum and will tie one on a bit. Pauline is now in Phila. – so we’ll have ourselves to drink with.

For now, darling – that’s all. I’m looking forward to your letters and calling you – and oh! If I could only see you this week-end! It would be a long ride – but worth it. We’ll see. I’m short on gas tickets – but could probably just about make it. Solong, dear, for now and

All my love
Greg


The following was enclosed.
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment