18 October, 2010

18 October, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Oct. 18, 1943    0620

Darling Wilma -

I like to put ‘Wilma’, after ‘darling’. You know why? That’s so I can write ‘darling’ with a capital letter. That’s perfectly clear, now – I hope.

Well, Sweetheart – I came close to calling you at school last night, just to say ‘hello!’ I know I had seen you a good part of the day, etc. – but I felt very happy and wanted to tell you so. But for the life of me – when 1000-1015 came along – I found I had a half dollar, two dimes – and no more change . No one else was in the barracks, and of course – there isn’t a thing open in camp at that hour. I was almost tempted to reverse the charge – but thought better of that plan immediately. Anyway, dear, I felt like talking with you.

This past week-end, dearest, was wonderful in every respect and seemed to be a natural culmination of what we both want. Nothing pleases a fellow who loves a girl (and I do love you, dear) more than to know that besides the love of the girl – he has at least the respect of her folks, and to know that your folks don’t object to me, not passively as before, but actively, naturally is what I wanted most, next to your love. I know they won’t be sorry.

I took my time going back, dear, and as I’ve said, found no one here. From what I gathered so far this a.m. (and it’s not much – as you can see by the hour) – nothing new has come up. But oh, darling, it’s going to be so difficult when something does turn up. I hate to think of it, especially when I know it’s so near.

I haven’t gone to breakfast as yet. There’s no one in the dispensary right now – and I thought I could commune with you in writing more quietly now, than later. Also at 0800 I have an appointment at the Dental clinic to have my teeth cleaned. I have broken this – or other appointments, rather – on 3 occasions, so I’m going to try to make this one today. I don’t have to lecture until 1300 – so I’m all set for the morning.

Darling, at the cost of repeating myself (as lovers do, I think – and I can see why) I want to tell you again that I’m very very happy that things have worked out as they have, that I love you and find my love returned, that you like my folks, and they you – and about your folks, too. All these things I will have to think about in days when I can do nothing but think – and the thoughts will help carry me through, I know.

I’ll call you tonight, darling, and I hope dear that your cold is much better! That’s all for now, dear and remember you’ll always have my deepest and sincerest love.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment