21 October, 2010

21 October, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Oct. 21, 1943    0720

Dear Sweetheart -

With the swiftness of the wind must I make with the pen right now – or I won’t make the early Pony Express. To wit – the Colonel and I are due at AAA headquarters at 0750 and the time seems to be flying – like the beat of my heart – for example, dear.

It was nice talking with you dear, last nite. I was kind of lonesome when I first spoke with you, but you helped me feel much better. We went directly home after I called you a second time – and got a reasonably good night’s sleep.

My throat is peculiar. It waxes and wanes from hour to hour – and I don’t know when something is going to come out or not. I’m sure it will straighten out in a day or two. At the prices they’re paying me – I’m a sucker to exert myself. I’m letting the other boys do the yelling now. All I have to do is walk around the theater and wake up the sleeping. It’s really not hard work. After the second awakening – we make them stand up for the rest of the lecture. It’s baby stuff – but it may mean a man’s life someday. It’s a sure bet – they won’t know how to take care of themselves if they’re sleeping while being told how.

How did I get on that subject, dear? Last night I believe I dreamed about us for 3-4 hours in a row. It was all one big jumble, but you were always there and the general vein of the dream was a happy one, darling.

I’m interested, dear, in what your mother had to say and how she happened to ask you to come in. I can’t wait to see you again, sweetheart, whenever it is. It’s already Thursday and no news, so I think everything is all set.

Darling I’ll have to close now. Here’s looking forward to seeing you very soon and giving you something more material than just written love. Until then, dear

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment