25 October, 2010

25 October, 1943 (2nd letter)

570th AAA AW BN (SP)
Scorton’s Neck
Oct. 25, 1943    1610

Dearest Girl -

It’s as gray and blue a day out here as anyone who has been transferred from an old outfit to a new one has ever had to put up with. Truth to tell, dear, it’s been a very very lonesome day for me, and I keep kicking myself mentally for allowing myself to feel that way. I really felt awful this morning when I had to move my belongings to a new building and start meeting a lot of new people.

When I reported to Hq. of the 570th I found only the remaining administrative force. The others had come down here for firing. This place is about 19 miles farther down the Cape from Edwards. It is also on a beach, but has permanent installations that are really quite comfortable. I have a really nice dispensary all for my men and myself. Right now I’m writing at a desk. I have a room and bed with sheets all to myself right in this building. The medical detachment men seem all right – those that I’ve met – and they’re glad to have an MD around after being 4 mos. without one – even if it is I, darling.

The new C.O. looks like a fossil, prematurely old. He’s very gruff, almost surly, but of course that bothers me very little. I still know more about my field than he does, and no matter how gruff they are, they all know that. As a matter of fact, dear – he may be perfectly all right when I get to know him.

I’ve met only a handful of the 40 odd officers and they seem nice enough. I’ll have to get to know them soon, dear, so that I won’t feel like an outsider. I don’t know, darling, what I would do if I didn’t know you. All day I kept bucking myself up with the pleasant thought that after all I had you and that’s what really mattered. And that’s all that really does, Sweetheart – and the longer I stay in this country, the better I’ll like it.

As regards the news about the 438th – what I wrote you this a.m. is true and in the form of actual movement orders.

The fellows refused to say ‘good-bye’, dear – insisting that I would return. They were all swell about it. I said ‘goodbye’ again to the Col. and he, too, insisted it would be temporary. He had already spoken with Charlie – telling him to write down a list of faults in the new M.D. – so he could bring the list to the General. Charlie – in turn – refused to take over the property, etc. – and so there you are. In addition my detachment has asked to be transferred, man for man – which of course is impossible, but nevertheless was an awfully nice gesture. All these things, dear, made me feel even worse – but believe me, now that I’ve actually made the change, I hope I stay. Being near you, within frequent writing and calling distance, darling – is a wonderful thought and if I had to leave in 2 weeks, my heartache would be even worse than that of a couple of weeks ago – so dear are you becoming to me, week by week.

I’ll try my best to contact you tonite, dear. Tomorrow I won’t be able to for the following reason: although we should be coming back to Camp Tues. p.m. – we go out on an after dark problem Tuesday, leaving early evening, and setting up a first aid station under complete blackout conditions – for the benefit of a visiting inspecting team from Richmond. I’ll tell you about it when I call you tonite. But I’ll call you Wednesday at 7 pm – I’m sure.

As it looks now – we’ll be around until the first of next week when we go out on a 5 day problem similar to the one I was out on before, dear, remember? Right now – I don’t know about the week-end, but if I can get off – maybe I can ride up to you know where. How about it, darling?

I don’t know how I’ll get this out to you. Chances are it won’t be until sometime tomorrow. That’s all for now – except that I hope I don’t get re-transferred. It’s going to be nice to keep seeing you and loving you, Sweetheart.

All my love, darling
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment