25 October, 2010

25 October, 1943

[Note from FOURTHCHILD:
Greg left the 438th for the 570th between the 21st and the 25th.]

570th AAA AW BN
Scorton’s Neck
Oct. 25, 1943    0745

Darling -

I’ll try to get off a few lines to you before going over to report to my new CO. He’s probably been expecting me since Sat. a.m. I’m in no hurry, dear, about that.

I arrived here at about 2200 last nite. I picked Pete up at the Statler and we stopped at my house for a minute to pick up clothes.

On arrival here I found the following news, dear – incidentally, dates and places not to be repeated – the 438th is to be at Camp Shank, Staten Island – the P.O.E. – on Nov. 8. That is definite and not just a readiness date. So there you are, darling, if I don’t get re-transferred in two weeks – I will have been snatched from the jaws.

The boys are all excited, of course. They all feel sure, by the way, that I’m going with them. Meanwhile I belong to the 570th and have to write over all property, funds etc. to Charlie – this a.m.

Sweetheart – I really must stop and get started. There’s a hundred things involved in changing outfits – and I should have done them Sat.

I’ll try to call you tonite – if I can – and if my new outfit doesn’t go out on a field problem.

The week-end was wonderful, dear, and I’m so glad that we understand each other as I think we do. It’s certainly an exciting feeling every time the thought flashes thru my mind – and it’s always flashing thru, dear.

That’s all – and so long.

All my love, dear
Greg

[P.O.E. = Point of Embarkation]

1 comment:

  1. Love catching up on these two! What a great tribute to their undying love!

    ReplyDelete