26 October, 2010

26 October, 1943 (2nd Letter)

570th AAA AW BN (SP)
Camp Edwards, Mass
Oct. 26, 1943    2200

Darling Wilma –

I’ve just returned from a very miserable field problem held in a driving rainstorm. We set up the aid station in complete blackout. I sure was glad I had my new combination raincoat; the hood, dear, was a lifesaver.

I’m now in my new room in a different section of the Camp. I’m sharing this room, dear, with another Captain, T. by name – who is S-3 for the battalion (plans and training – or operations officer.) He seems to be a pleasant chap and very friendly.

We got back to Camp about 1500 and I went down to see Charlie to see what was new. It seems that the new M.D. isn’t working out at all and the Colonel is doing his best to get rid of him. Meanwhile, darling, Charlie had been up to AA Headquarters to find out my status – and dear he says the general implication is that I’ll be back in a few days. Sweetheart I’m in an awful dilemma. On the one hand I’m getting to like the idea of being with this outfit for several reasons. Most important of all is that it keeps me near to you. The one big thing I don’t like is the type of outfit I’m with. It’s just as bad as being with a tank battalion only it hasn’t got the defensive armor of tanks. My ambulance is like one of these tanks and undoubtedly our mission in this battalion would be to move with the first wave in a beach head landing or to go cross country with the infantry or armored forces. Now I’m not exactly yellow, Sweetheart – but there’s several ways for a doctor to fight a war, and this doesn’t seem to be the best way.

On the other hand, dear, if I should go back to the 438th, I’ll be leaving very shortly with perhaps this next week-end being the last for a while. Yet I understand that the 438th orders did not include staging here, which means they’ll be staged in N.Y. – which in turn means they’ll stay in N.Y. for awhile.

If you’ve followed me, darling, you’ll see that I’m confused. So much, so very much depends on what fate has in store for me the next few days, and I don’t know how much I should try to interfere with it. Only remember this, dear, for my own sake I care very little. I want so much to consummate our love, I dread the thought of anything that might interfere, and when all these problems arise that I’ve written you, I think then, sweetheart, only in reference to you and our future, and how our future might be affected by where I go, and when. Since I’ve been transferred to this outfit, the possibility of my becoming engaged to you before the war is over presented itself so strongly, that I’ve hardly thought of anything else. Going back to the 438th would be a bar to that. The crux of the whole matter, darling, is that I love you so very much that I don’t want to lose you, – I want to marry you when this is all over and all my thoughts revolve about that one delightful theme.

Wed – 0700

Darling –

My roommate came in while I was writing last nite and I couldn’t finish. I haven’t re-read this letter yet but I’ll bet it’s all mixed up. One thing is certain Sweetheart – and that is that the war must come to an end some day and I know that no matter where I go or with whatever outfit, that the Lord will allow me to come back to you, and what is just as important – that you will be there waiting. Darling that’s all for now. I haven’t had any mail from you yet. I’ll go down to the 438th and look for same this a.m. So long, Sweetheart and

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment