12 October, 2010

04 October, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Oct 3, 1943    1600

Darling -

Even at the expense of being ‘stale’, I am at least going to start this letter but like the Five Star Final Edition I won’t seal it until tomorrow – so that I can include the latest dope.

I wrote so hurriedly this morning, dearest, I hardly remember if I put my words and thoughts together correctly. I do know I tried to tell you I loved you and will continue to. All day today I was aware of a somewhat futile feeling, a sensation of being so near you and yet not being able to see you. The battalion was restricted today as to passes; I’m still not sure about officers, and no word has come through about Der Tag. I don’t know why I seemed so indecisive Sunday when we talked about a possibility of my coming up to Holyoke. I know darling that if there’s any possible chance – that I’ll come scooting up; you can bet on that. Right now that opportunity is in the realm of fantasy. We are getting ready as if to move out on the day you already know. Everything will be turned in, packed etc. But one can never tell. It’s funny how you like to look forward to each successive isolated chance of seeing someone you care for; it’s like putting off the bitter medicine – but it’s human.

Right now, dear, I’m in our Dispensary, writing at a desk for the first time in a long while; getting soft, I guess. I keep thinking of the past few days, and how swell it was of you, Sweetheart – to come in and spend so much time with me. One thing about not knowing you over a long period of time is the fact that I can start at the beginning and relive over and over again each time we went out together, – and pleasant times they were, too, darling.

I’ve got to stop now and go over to inspect the men’s barracks, dear. I’ll write later –

Oct 4-43       0730
Wilma dear –

‘Later’ became this morning but since then I’ve spoken with you and it was a wonderful boost for a very lonesome day. I love speaking with you, too, darling and shall miss it more than I dare think.

After I spoke with you last night, dear, we stayed in our room (Charlie and I share the same room) until about 2000 – labeling some of our clothes, e.g. underwear, handkerchiefs etc. There’s a specified way of doing it, by the way – the last name’s initial, and the last 4 numbers of the serial no; so that mine reads A----. If I have anything left after the war, dear, you’ll get used to seeing the number. No – I’ll throw everything away and start fresh.

This morning I’m having my sleeping bag cleaned, but the big problem this week, dear, is laundry and dry cleaning. We hate to give anything away – because if we move out we’ll lose it. I guess we’ll have to do our own laundry – and boy – I have a bunch of it this week. Anyway – we have wash-tubs in our barracks; lucky.

Well, darling, I’ll have to stop now and do a little work. I’ve had 2 or 3 interruptions already. The boys are making plans for Wednesday nite; I’m not entering into the spirit of it – I’m afraid. They all want to know why and I tell them I’m in love. How do you like that? Anyway – if I don’t go to the movies – I’ll go stag and have a few perhaps. It’ll be right in camp, anyway.

I’m looking forward to calling you tonite dearest – and I do love you – remember that – and as I always say – HARD.  So long for now, dear and

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment