01 November, 2010

01 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass.
Nov. 1, 1943        0745

Dearest Sweetheart –

I’m going to try and dash off a few lines now, although sick call has already started.

The week-end, darling, was wonderful and one which I’ll always remember. What struck me particularly was the naturalness with which we passed the time. It seemed very normal to be with you, hour after hour, and that’s a very good sign.

I hated to leave you, dear, and if I seemed to hurry off, it was merely because I wanted to get the ‘good-byes’ over with – I thought we had trained ourselves to the idea – but the training didn’t seem to help me one bit.

When I got up to the center, I found Sgt. Kirby waiting. It was then 1950. Leo didn’t show up until 2025. I was kind of angry because had he been there at 2000, we would have got a good start. He had his girl with him and we were introduced, – but hurriedly. She seemed awfully sweet; I’m afraid I must have sounded curt. It was just the mood I was in dear, and the rotten feeling I had on leaving you. If you have a chance – you might mention it. I don’t see how she goes out with that Medwin guy. He’s even dopier than I thought he was coming up. He got into the rear seat and just sat and slept the whole way. Not once did he offer to drive. It’s just as well; I felt safer. We drove without a stop and got back here at 2350.

This morning I have several things to do after sick call. But I can’t or don’t want to get this past week-end out of my mind. It will be a pleasant memory for a long long time, darling.

I hope, dear, that you’re feeling better by now. I’ll try to call you tonite if I’m in Camp – Otherwise I’m afraid it will be next Wed. At any rate, Sweetheart, I love you whether I call you or not – and shall continue to love you always. So long for now, dear – and

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment