02 November, 2010

02 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Nov. 2, 1943, 1943    0730

Darling Wilma –

It was nice talking with you, dear; so nice to hear your voice and hear you laugh. It made me feel much better than I felt before I called you. And I was glad to hear that you were feeling better physically, too.

As I told you, darling, starting with the first of the morning I began to get things accomplished. I did not want to go out on the field just for the heck of it. They were going to leave at 1300. Anyway, I went over to the 438th and got them to start calling AAATC and finally they weedled out the information that my orders were being printed and would probably be ready Tues. , or Wednesday. Finally permission was granted me by verbal order, so called, to leave the 570th. I went back to the 570th Col. and said “Good-bye”. He was very nice about it.

So somewhere around noon time, dear, I was back with the old gang. And honestly, I didn’t realize how much I had missed them; like an old pair of slippers. It’s paradoxical that I should feel so glad about being back with an outfit that is so ‘hot’, but I can’t help it. And in that respect, Sweetheart, I think it’s wonderful and unselfish of you to be so happy for me. I know, darling, that you’d like to have me stay around longer, just as I’d like to; but your spirit and concern about my getting back to the 438th are admirable, dear, and although I haven’t said anything about it, I do appreciate it very much.

I think, though, that somehow or other we’ll both be happier for it in the end, because despite everything the 438th seems to get some decent breaks in the long run, – to wit our past travels, and now – our future. Everyone in the Army gets tossed around, true, – but it seems that we’ve always got what we’ve wanted and that’s a good omen. I told you, dear, about our advance party arrival and where they’ve allegedly arrived at. If it’s true – it’s just where I’ve wanted to go.

To date – there’ve been no new rumors and as it stands, we move out early a.m. of the day I told you about, dear. We’re restricted to the battalion area for the week-end and it will be spent chiefly in packing things, cleaning up the area, turning in excess of equipment, etc.

I still think I’ll bring my car back on Friday, dear and I think I’ll so write my folks.

Meanwhile – I’ve got several things to do to close out our accounts, records etc. – and I’ll be kind of busy for the next few days. I’ll call you tonite, dear – at 1900 if I can. I’m looking forward to hearing from you. Until tonite, dear, – so long and you have

All my love
Greg.

P.S. Darling – I believe my first APO no. will be 4916. Jot it down. You’ll be notified by card when I leave Edwards. Later I think we get another number.

Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment