03 November, 2010

03 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Nov. 3, 1943    0750

Dearest Sweetheart –

I believe I told you on the phone last night, dear, that I enjoyed your letters, particularly the one you wrote Sunday night. I’ve just re-read it and darling it still is one of the nicest letters I’ve ever received. Certain it is that it’s the most sincere and straightforward, and you can believe me, dear. I feel the same way as you. I’ll always love you and as far as being strangers is concerned, by being separated – I don’t feel that that will happen at all. As a matter of fact, Sweetheart, it is my opinion that we can go on developing each other’s acquaintance right from where we leave off now. A person reveals so much of his or her personality in his writing; the exchange of ideas goes on; plans can be made for the future. What one must have is a good visual memory ability to call up pictures of the past. That is very important, I think – and I think we’ll both have that power. The one big thing that is always missed, of course, is the physical contact, darling – which I know we’ll both miss very very much. But we’ve got to look to the future for our satisfaction. There are so many many other couples in the same boat – and that helps a little. But never, dear – never feel that distance and separation will change my feelings towards you. I love you as deeply as I know how; it’s a love based on an attraction I had for you soon after I met you, dear – an attraction backed by your personality, sweetness, consideration, and of course returned affection. It’s not a superficial love. I know it will grow stronger and stronger, despite my being away from you – and when I return, darling, I shall want to marry you immediately. Now – when you ever feel blue and doubtful, dear – remember all that and remember that I mean it sincerely.

Well – the AA Surgeon had nothing in particular to offer. Today I’ve been reassured that the written order will be out – and it looks as if I’ll stay.

It’s a rainy blue day today – but I don’t feel that way. It’s always such a nice feeling to remember that I know a girl who loves me and is willing to marry me. It’s a great comfort, darling – and I’m thankful to the Lord for it.

As regards Friday – I feel also that no matter how short the time – I want to see you. I felt that way the minute I drove off from So. Hadley. As for your suggestion about coming to my house – that would be wonderful and even if your folks can’t make it – you can come down anyway and we’ll drive you home. Anyway I’ll contact you before then, dear, and we’ll see.

Darling I must stop now and do some work. I’ll call you tonite. Last nite I went to the movies again; saw ‘Lassie Come Home’ – a dog picture and rather good.

So long for now, dear – and remember always that I love you and always will.

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment