04 November, 2010

04 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Nov. 4, 1943    0740

Dearest Girl –

Here I am back at the Dispensary, starting another day writing to you. You finish the day and I start it – and I guess that completes the cycle, dear.

I enjoyed your letter – or letters – very much yesterday, darling – and the drawings! Well I never knew you had that much ability. You ought to further it, dear. However – you don’t draw accurately; for example – I’m never that close to you, sweetheart, without my arms around you; secondly I haven’t that much hair, and third, dear – who did the plastic on my nose? But it was very sweet dear and expresses my sentiments too. You know, dear – that in reading about censorship – it states that soldier’s mail from overseas to this country – cannot have xxx’s anywhere on the letter. It seems that in the early days – messages were sent in one way or another using them. So darling – I’ll just write mine out.

Your psych. course sounds good. I used to like courses like that – where everyone gets a crack at saying something – even if it’s not important. Some of the meetings used to get very heated and one would think that the world was waiting for a decision. Concerning the subject matter you discussed, dear – that has been discussed a good deal before and always makes good material for an argument, as does any subject that uses a priori rather than a posteriori reasoning.

I like to read your remarks about our future life together. It helps reassure me that you’re thinking along the same lines that I do. The Lord knows I’m always thinking of the days to come after the war when we’re settled in Salem and bringing up a family and really living a normal life. Great Day! We’ll have happy times.

About the sweater, darling, you’re not really starting a sweater now, are you? You know you really have some time – or are you counting on your dad’s prognostic acumen? If so, I usually use a size 38.

About Friday, darling, – the thought of it makes me mentally ill – because it involves so many ‘good-byes’; I’ll have to just keep remembering that all this is just temporary, just an interval before we are allowed to be permanently happy. I know you feel the same say dear –, but I’ll have to try and make my folks feel the same way, too.

I think it would be nice if you came down to my house. I’ll get off as soon as I possibly can and head straight for Newton Center and you. Then we can proceed to my house and we can drive you home on our way back. Ok?

Darling I hope you get your paper written etc. I’ll call you tonite and until then – solong, dear and

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment