08 November, 2010

08 November, 1943

[From FOURTHCHILD:

See new pages 16 and top of 17
in The Route of the Question Mark
by clicking on the above tab.]

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916 % Postmaster N.Y.
En Route
Nov. 8, 1943    1310

Dearest Girl –

Right now our train has stopped, but it might start again any moment and if so – excuse the writing, dear.

I’m sorry, darling, that I had to awaken you last nite, but I just felt like talking with you and naturally I want to take advantage of every opportunity, while it presents itself. Your voice sounded as if you had a whale of a cold, dear, and I hope you take care of it and get it over with as soon as possible. I’m glad your folks were able to bring you back and save you the wear and tear of a train ride.

I was surprised, dear, to hear that your gift had arrived so soon, although I had heard from Shreve’s that it had been mailed out. I wish the timing had been better – but since I think you suspected strongly what you were going to get, it doesn’t really matter, dear. Anyway, I hope you like it and find use for it, after your cold is gone.

Yesterday p.m. about 1430, my folks arrived. I showed them around the camp awhile and then sent them home, my brother driving my car. There were tears, of course, but I did my best to bolster the family’s feelings and then it was over. I didn’t enjoy it, darling, no more than when we said ‘so-long’.

The evening – was a busy one, and even after I called you – there was no time for sleep. We ate at 0245 etc. etc. and were on our way on schedule. The route we took was as I suspected. We should arrive on time.

Sweetheart, it’s an awful feeling I had all day today (the train has just got going again) – every hour bringing me farther away from those I love. It just doesn’t seem possible but it’s so.

But with all my heart-ache I have an undercurrent feeling of contentment, dear, a satisfaction that is almost indescribable. I’m so happy in the realization of you, darling; in knowing that I love you and that you feel the same way about me. That feeling is going to be a comfort to me in the days and months to come and I’ll always feel grateful to you, dear, for allowing that common feeling to materialize.

I can’t write anymore now, darling. I hope you feel better soon and I’ll do my darn’dest to contact you as soon as I can. Meanwhile take care of yourself and remember my love will always be for you, dear.

Greg.
Regards to the girls
and your folks
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment