09 November, 2010

09 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916
Nov. 9, 1943    1400

Darling Wilma –

I feel so far away from you in miles, but so very near to you, dear, in spirit. The fact that I haven’t been able to contact you has made me very lonesome and is going to be very different to get accustomed to, sweetheart; I think of you over and over again each minute of the day, and as if you weren’t desirable to me already, you become even more so now.

Upon arrival here I looked all over for a phone, and after walking what seemed like miles I finally was told there were no outside phones in the Camp. Well – how about getting off? No! – everyone is restricted until the outfit goes thru some processing – usually beginning about 3 days! I felt awful about not being able to contact you, darling, but I did find out today – a little while ago – that officers could mail their letters from now on. I have to be at a dispensary in a little while, but I’ll try to get a few more lines off, dear.

Naturally there’s a lot happening that I can’t write to you, darling. Please understand. Wasn’t it wonderful when I was able to call you whenever I wanted to? I guess we never appreciate things until we can’t have or do them.

However – it seems that we will get some 12 hour passes soon. For how long, I don’t know – but I will contact you the minute I leave the camp so that I can tell you how much I love and miss you, Sweetheart. It’s more fun saying it than writing it. (Well why didn’t I say it more often?) Don’t take the words out of my mouth, dear.

The weather was bad yesterday and today, but should clear up this evening. I don’t like the thought of the approaching new moon, darling, because I’m sure my lonesomeness will be intensified. I can see now that the war can’t last very long, dear – because I don’t like it this way at all. I know it already, after being out of the direct circumference of your sphere for only 2 days.

Dearest, I’m going to stop now. I hope this gets to you soon. Perhaps I’ll be able to contact you before this reaches you. Remember, darling, I’ll always be trying to keep in touch with you in one way or another. I hope you’re feeling better by now. And I hope you’re studying. So long for now, dear – and Sweetest memories are mine thanks to you.

All my love
Greg.
Regards to your folks.
       Love
            G.

No comments:

Post a Comment