10 November, 2010

10 November, 1943

[Note from FOURTHCHILD: Wilma wrote the following on this letter:]

Called Weds nite from camp – couldn’t say much. Called again Thurs. from N.Y. – told me all. Made plans for Sat. in N.Y. together. Called Fri. and all off.
Sat. got 1st letter. Got 3 today – Monday, Nov. 15.

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916
Nov. 10, 1943    1650

Dearest Sweetheart –

It’s late afternoon, the sort of gloomy part of the day – and I guess I’m kind of blue. It’s probably really lonesomeness that I’m experiencing. It seems like ages since we’ve been in contact with each other, darling and it’s awful. But I can’t do a thing about it yet.

I haven’t received any mail from you yet, dear – but I guess I should by tomorrow. I hope so anyway, and I also hope you’ve heard from me by now, Sweetheart.

The routine here has been very dull, medically, although the boys in the line are hopping around all day.

Yesterday I ran into a dentist from Salem. He’s an older man and part of the station complement. He’ll undoubtedly write some of our mutual friends, which means that I’ll have to start writing too. I just finished writing Mrs. K., the elder – and I told her all about us, darling, and our plans for after the war. She was always interested in my getting married and went to the trouble of having me meet several girls. Why she never got hold of you, dear, I don’t know. But she’ll surely be glad to hear about it, I know.

I haven’t heard from my folks yet, either, but I’ve been writing them whenever I’ve written you darling. Gosh. I haven’t really got started yet – and I can’t wait for the war to get over with. I can see now, dear, that it will take a lot of strength and I just trust that God will give us just that. I love you as I’ve never loved anyone and I don’t want to lose you ever, dear. And I’m not going to, either – you can be sure of that!

Tonight Charlie and I have to do some foot inspections and if we get thru in decent time – we’ll mosey over to the Officers’ Club which is just a little way down the line from here. We’re just anxious to see what it’s like. But we’ve really tried to catch up with the sleep we missed the past week.

Sweetheart – that’s all for now and I do hope I can call you soon. Be patient, dear – and know always that I’m constantly thinking of you and our future together.

So long for now, darling – and

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment