13 November, 2010

13 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916 c/o Postmaster N.Y.
Nov. 13, 1943    1900

Dear Sweetheart –

Here it is Saturday evening, and if you’re thinking about some other Saturday evenings, you must be feeling the way I do right now. But I must make myself clear, darling. When I write and intimate I’m blue or lonesome, it is never that in the ordinary sense of the word. Those words mean being alone and somehow, dear, ever since I felt I loved you and that you felt the same about me – I have never felt that I was ever alone. Your being always becomes a part of my thoughts and plans and reminiscences, until you are so inextricably a part of everything I think, that I sometimes think I’m going to see you in the next few moments.

This feeling, darling, is not a new one and is not a result of my present situation. It is something I have felt for some time, and when I first became aware of it, I was really sure I loved you.

So, darling, when I imply I’m lonesome – don’t worry. I have you with me at all times, and you are a great comfort to my thoughts.

As yet I haven’t heard from you, dear – and I suppose the same is true for you. By this time it becomes apparent that there must be a definite reason for it, and I suppose any day now the letters will start to trickle through.

Last night, sweetheart, when I finished talking with you, I called my mother. She was glad to hear from me, of course and asked if I had called you. When I said I had, she was glad. She said she believed you must be missing me very much, – so one way or another, dear, you have left the impression that you love me. My folks know how I feel about you – and needless to say, they are happy.

My brother was out. He was actually on his way to a fraternity dance and has been practicing how to dance. I’m tickled because he has never shown the slightest interest in things like that before.

Today has been a very busy day, and tomorrow appears to offer just as much as today. Darling – I will be unable to contact you. I will be unable to celebrate your Birthday or Graduation and I feel badly about that. Please remember that I’m thinking of you on those days, even though I won’t be able to express my feelings.

There have been several interruptions darling since I started this letter. I’m tired and I think I’ll go to bed soon. I’d give anything to be with you tonite, but since I can’t, I’ll do the next best thing and think hard of some of the Saturdays when I could be with you and was.

Good nite for now darling and you have my deepest love

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment