15 November, 2010

15 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916 c/o Postmaster N.Y.
Nov. 15, 1943    1120

Dearest Girl –

I have just returned from the Western Union where after a few deletions they finally agreed to send a night letter to you – which you no doubt have received some time ago. The message was self-explanatory, dear.


Guessing from Wilma's underlines and note in pencil,
"SEE WELL" was a pre-arranged signal for "On the way."

I don’t know, darling, when you began to get letters from me – but presumably you are getting them by now. As yet, no word from you – and frankly I see no reason at all for the delay from your direction. I know you are writing frequently, darling, and I can at least look forward to a nice juicy batch of letters, which I will carefully arrange in sequence, find myself a corner and read over and over again the things you wrote me when I first left Massachusetts.

Sweetheart – there is actually nothing at all to write about. The week-end was the longest I ever remember and just dragged and dragged. I read the N.Y. Times from cover to cover, page by page; I played cribbage for hours; we sat around and talked and finally in the evening went over to the Officers’ Club for some beer.

Today we gave some more shots. After the war, darling, I swear I will want to inoculate everyone for everything. There’ll be special consideration for my wife, however.

Well I’ll stop now, darling. I know these letters aren’t very long, but I’m limited in many respects – and as long as you hear from me frequently, dear, I know you won’t mind.

So long for now, darling, and all

my love.
Greg.

P.S. The moon has not helped
these past few nights.
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment