18 November, 2010

18 November, 1943

[Note from FOURTHCHILD:
Greg wrote one long letter while crossing the Atlantic.
Portions will be posted as though separate letters,
according to surmised dates.]

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916 c/o Postmaster N.Y.
Somewhere at Sea; Date also ?

Dearest Sweetheart –

I keep looking out over the water and I can hardly realize that it is I who is actually aboard a ship carrying me overseas. Of course I can’t tell you when I left. For the time being you’ll have to guess for yourself, darling. It shouldn’t be too difficult.

To begin with, it has been very thrilling and exciting and so far – outside from the ever present fact that I’m getting farther away from those I love – it has been a pleasant trip. Remember, darling, that there’s practically nothing that I’m allowed to write concerning all this, and of course this won’t be mailed until we arrive.

I believe I can write that this is our second day out. The sailing has been perfect. The boat is magnificent to the point of being luxurious, and I guess my luck is still present because we could have drawn a much worse boat than this one. Of course, darling, I’ve been taking those sea-sick capsules – and so far I haven’t felt sick at all. Some of the boys have. But the truth is, the sea is not rough at all right now.

The food is worthy of the finest hotel. We eat in 4 seatings. But it’s at large (seats 8) round tables, waiter service, tablecloths, etc. – and breakfast always includes fish – among several other things. Honestly, darling, I’m amazed at it all and had no idea that going over would be as pleasant as this. The only places we can smoke are on the outer decks – of which there are several, (and daytime only); also the officers’ lounge which is converted from a former grand ballroom.

Our routine has been easy. I’ve been able to get up at 8-8:30. The stateroom I share with several other fellows has one wash-stand, an easy chair, elaborate bureau and connecting bathroom with both hot and cold running water. After shaving – we eat and then have boat drill. Then relax or sleep, eat, smoke, boat drill again etc. Now, darling – who said that war was tough?

I only hope darling that you’re not worrying too much about me. Apparently all is safe and everyone exudes confidence. Anyway, if I ever saw a Nazi submarine, I’m sure I would react as I do in the movies – namely sit back and expect H. Bogart take over.

Darling, the one thing I do feel is lonesomeness for you. That is always present, dear, and particularly because our mail has not come in. I do hope that by now you’ve received some of the mail I sent you last week. Pretty soon, now, dear, you ought to hear from me – somewhat regularly and I from you, and that ought to make things a little bit easier. For the time being dear I’m going to stop. But I won’t seal this now, but wait to write you later. So long for now Sweetheart –

No comments:

Post a Comment