23 November, 2010

23 November, 1943

[Note from FOURTHCHILD:

This letter was begun on ship on November 17th, 1943.

It was continued on November 20th
and completed in this portion, on the 23rd.]

Darling,

Since this won’t be mailed until the trip is over I believe I can say that it is almost over now. Someday, Sweetheart, I believe we ought to take a trip of some sort on water – perhaps a honeymoon, although I won’t insist on water of course. Really, if the ocean could be as calm always as it has been for us – I would never mind ocean traveling.

What lies ahead for our outfit no one knows, although various suggestions have been offered. We’ll just sit back and see.

I should be celebrating someone’s Birthday today, dear – but instead I’m riding the waves. Well – if I were celebrating something I couldn’t be any closer in mind even if I were right next to the party involved than I am right now – and regardless of distance – my sincerest wishes for a long and happy life.

I’d better stop now, darling. I wasn’t going to seal this until I got a new APO number, but no one is sure when we’ll get it, and if it is changed – the APO officials will forward mail anyway. I’ve been told that it takes as much as 3 weeks for regular mail or air mail to get to the States – but I’ll find out from you, dear.

Meanwhile – all I can say is that I miss you terribly dear and yet if it weren’t for our love – I don’t believe I would be facing the future with the feeling of hope and desire to get a job done with so I can get home and –
you know what.
My deepest love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment