24 November, 2010

24 November, 1943

Greg's first V-Mail to Wilma was censored only
with regard to the date, which was inked out.


Written 24 November, 1943.

Postmarked 15 December at 10 pm.
Received 23 December, 1 month later.


CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE


[Note from FOURTHCHILD:
V-Mail images have been edited to keep them anonymous.

The letter is transcribed below.

V-MAIL

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916 c/o Postmaster N.Y.
Nov. 24, 1943
Somewhere in England
Darling,

Arrived safely. The trip was very pleasant dear. I have written you more about it, but I wanted this to get to you sooner.

Have not yet received any of your mail, but expect I will very soon now. Hope you had a happy birthday. I had no way of celebrating while aboard ship, Sweetheart – but I was thinking very hard.

I believe we’ll have a new A.P.O. soon, dear – but so far this is the only one to use. Will write more as soon as we get settled. That’s all for now.

All my love
Greg.

The following telegram was sent the same day
and received on the 6th of December, 1943.


No comments:

Post a Comment