02 December, 2010

02 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 515 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Dec 2, 1943   1400
Somewhere in England

Dearest Sweetheart -

The sun is shining here today and it’s quite welcome. I wonder how your weather is. I hope that by graduation time the roads are nice and clear. I remember your plans included your folks driving up to Holyoke, with your Grandmother B. How is she, by the way, dear? When you next see her, give her my regards.

At the sake of being repetitious, darling, I’ll say again that I’ve had no mail from you or home – as yet. I don’t know why, because many of the other fellows are now receiving air-mail and V-mail quite regularly. So far Air-mail seems to be coming as swiftly as V-mail. I wonder if that’s true in the other direction. As soon as I hear from you, darling, I’ll let you know – so you can gather how long it takes. Since getting settled here – I’ve written you and my folks at least once per day and soon you should be hearing from me reasonably regularly. I know, Sweetheart, that you must be having a very busy time right now – and if you’re writing only when you have a chance – I understand perfectly, dear. Whenever it is – you can be sure I’ll be appreciative.

Yesterday I wrote you that the Battery Commanders were going out to dinner. The Col. came along too. After staggering thru the black-out we reached the village and passed thru a few alleys and got to the Inn. Many of these inns are in side streets. The place was very old and had 3-4 medium sized rooms where drinks were served, but there was no bar proper. In the room we sat down in – there was a nice large fireplace – with a swell fire going. We got there at 1830 and drank a few until 1930. Drinks are reasonable – only 1/8 for a very good rum – but no coke with it. We then had a steak, yes steak dinner – complete. I hardly believed that was possible in England. It was excellently served and was supposed to cost 7 shillings. Well – we had wine, and then a liqueur and anyway – we ended up paying a pound each which is 20 shillings – so somewhere along the way – the price went up very fast. But it was an enjoyable dinner. About 2130 – we went to an Episcopalian Church in the town. That is officially the Church of England, by the way. We were making arrangements for services for the boys on Sundays. We met a very interesting Vicar, dear – whose son is in the RAF and trained in Florida and Oklahoma. He showed us all over the place. It turned out that the church was one of the old ones in England – over 600 years old. It had been reformed but never rebuilt – and from a historical point of view, it was interesting in that Cromwell had kept political prisoners there. We finally left at 2230 and drove back here. So that’s how I spent my first nite out, darling. It was very relaxing and helped me quite a bit, because truth to tell – I was feeling somewhat low.

In the line of news, Sweetheart, I have nothing to offer. We are allowed 48 hour passes, but the U.S. is just out of reach on that. Some of the boys are planning to go to London one of these week-ends, and I may go with them, although I don’t believe it will be this week-end.

And so, darling, I’ll close again. I hope, dear, that all is well with you and your folks. Again – good luck in your exams and the sincerest wishes on your graduation, dear. Were I present – I would give you a hard kiss in front of everyone on Graduation Day. Remind me, dear – I’ll owe that one to you and will pay you with interest. So long

And as ever,
All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment