06 December, 2010

06 December, 1943 (to her parents)

V-MAIL

438th AAA AW BN
APO 515 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Dec 6, 1943
Somewhere in England

Dear Mrs. B. –

I have at home about 800 pennies which Wilma and I will gladly stake against any and all combinations of Bridge players – even and including you and Mr. B. Seriously though, I’ve been playing the game frequently since I left, and I’m enjoying it thoroughly. You were right.

Your letter was very pleasant to receive, and I hope you continue to write. I certainly missed not being with Wilma on her Birthday and I’ll feel particularly lonesome on her Graduation Day. I hope you all have a very happy day. I’d give a lot to be able to be with you.

But I waited a long time until I met a girl like Wilma, and I can wait some more – to do my celebrating. I warn you, I shall insist on re-celebrating every holiday, birthday, Graduation – or similar function that I missed while I was away. Will you and Mr. B. be my guests?

Thanks again for writing and my best regards to Mr. B. So long for now –

Sincerely,
Greg

[Note from FOURTHCHILD: Greg used Wilma's full last name throughout this letter, not the more familiar "Mr. B." or "Mrs. B." It has been shortened for anonymity.]

No comments:

Post a Comment