08 December, 2010

08 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 515 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Wednesday, Dec 8, 1943 1100
England


Dearest Girl -

You can see by the time that I probably won’t be able to finish this at one sitting, but I thought I’d start anyway, since I happen to have a few spare moments just now. At 1130 I have to attend a B.C.’s meeting where we all air our views about different matters. Today I’m going to beef about the mess-kit water not being hot enough. I do that periodically, and they are getting used to it by now. As long as the boys don’t get any disease from contamination, I don’t care.

I’m sitting at my desk, near a warm stove, dear, with the radio playing Gypsy music, softly. It’s very comfortable – but you would complete the picture beautifully. Speaking of pictures reminds me of a statement you made in one of your letters – i.e. – that with time your picture might become dimmed. I don’t know, dear, whether you meant that figuratively or literally – but in either case you were way off the beam. Even without your photograph, darling, your image is very much in my mind; a picture will help – but even if either should be dimmed in my visual sensory mechanism, it wouldn’t matter at all because Sweetheart – it’s what you are basically that I love. Suppose I can’t visualize you? What of it? I know that when I left home I left behind me a girl whose qualities and make-up I loved and who in addition, loved me. That fact won’t get dimmed ever in my memory sense, believe me, darling – and it will bring me back to you, I know.

The program has changed to dance music and right now they’re playing “Put Your Arms etc.” and boy how I’d like to! The native dance bands – as I hear them on the radio – aren’t too good. The leading band leader seems to be a fellow named Victor Sylvester, and he isn’t bad. Yet he can’t touch Dorsey, Miller, Goodman, James et al. They play a lot of our old numbers like ‘Blue Skies’, ‘Who’. I’ve listened to hear ‘Dark Eyes’ – but so far, dear, no luck.

I did hear Bob Hope’s program the other night – or did I mention that? It was a Monday at 7:30 p.m. or 1930 and it was therefore about 1430 in the States. It was a special overseas program, done weekly. Crosby and Langford were on with him, and they wise-cracked freely. The ad-libbing was plentiful and they addressed all their remarks to the soldiers. I haven’t been able to find out about Jack Benny’s program as yet – but I understand he does one, too.

I have to leave right now, dear. Excuse me.

1240

Hello darling –

Just got back from lunch. We had steak, mashed potatoes, diced beets, mustard, pickles, coffee, pineapple and home-made tarts, and that wasn’t an extraordinary meal – either. Right now I’m waiting for one of the other officers to call for me. The BC’s are custodians of the funds of the batteries. We lugged our cash overseas and now we’re going to deposit it in an English bank – possibly Barclay’s. They have branches all over England and if we should move right from this spot – we’d have a branch somewhere else.

And news? Well what opinions you can get from the papers here and some natives – they all seem to feel that the war in Europe can’t last much longer. They feel the ‘Jerries won’t stick it’. The British are not a bunch of wishful thinkers – so maybe they have the right dope. Gosh, darling, how long must I dream of the ride back and the moment when I see you and I don’t know what? Will I be reserved? Wait and see, darling.

I’m afraid I’ll have to close now Sweetheart, – they’re waiting for me. Starting with this letter I’m addressing you at home on the hunch that it will take about that long to get to you. At any rate your mother will hold it.

Solong, my darling – I miss you terribly dear – particularly with the approach of the coming holidays, but what can a fellow do but sit tight and wait, and that’s what I’m going to do. I’ll write you again tomorrow, dear and until then – you have for safekeeping

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment