11 December, 2010

11 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 515 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Saturday, Dec 11, 1943  1400
England


My dearest Wilma -

Saturday afternoon – and once upon a girl there was a – excuse me dear – once upon a time I was wont to ride in either of two directions, but with you as the goal in both cases. Gosh they say that in the army one day is like another day, but somehow I’m always aware acutely of the arrival of Saturday and Sunday, and I have no doubt you are too, dear. On December 3rd, darling, I was on the Army active list for eighteen months. I can hardly believe it. I still find myself thinking in terms of when I closed my office; I don’t find a place for the 1½ year period – except the latter part of it.

Do you ever wonder, Sweetheart, whether or not we would have met had I not been in the Army. Of course I was getting fed up with my lonesomeness in Salem. Superficially I had plenty to do and places to go to, but when I got back of an evening I would feel very blue and realized I was missing one important thing, love for a woman and a woman’s love, in short – a wife. I suppose I would have started looking for someone, and yet I kept putting it off. Boston was a long way off it seemed, and I just stayed in the same old groove. What would have eventually happened, I don’t know. I’m not the bachelor type because I believe too much in a wife and family life. I would have gone on being fundamentally unhappy.

The fact that I didn’t get to meet you before I actually did is my own fault – but I’m satisfied now, dear.

I was just re-reading the last letter I received from you, written Nov. 21. I like it for several reasons, darling, but particularly because it’s the latest. If you’re like me, as time goes by you’ll scan my letters more and more closely to see if there are any changes, obvious or hidden. Human nature, darling, is like that and that’s not harmful at all. I pray, dear, that I never find any changes, that you continue to write that you’re “deeply in love” with me and that I have all your love. Nothing else will make me happy. Less than that will sadden my life. Remember ever, darling, that you have me if you want me.

Your reference to the “Rear Admiral” was funny, but if you want to be a doctor’s wife you must say ‘hemorrhoids!’ You have nice relatives, darling, and very friendly they were to me, too. I know they’re very fond of you, and if they liked me at all, it’s a great compliment. Won’t if be fun to have them over and entertain in our own house! We’ll have the widest circle of friends and relatives a couple ever had, or I miss my guess, dear.

But yes, this was Saturday afternoon and I’m so far away Sweetheart. It’s such an annoying, gnawing realization and at times seems unbearable. I’m in my office now, listening to the radio. It’s quiet and warm – but I’m so damned lonesome and I dread the thought of the evening. I’m not afraid of “diversion and thus a date”, as you put it dear. That won’t help me at all and if it did, I wouldn’t like it, because I don’t want anyone to divert me but you. I suppose we can get a bridge game going but it’s going to be a long evening.

So far there’s been no mail today. I heard disconcerting news yesterday to the effect that initial mail from here to home sometimes takes as long as 5-6 weeks to arrive and that even cablegrams take almost as long. I was under the assumption that you certainly had heard from me by this time. Gee I hope so, darling. I don’t mind so much not hearing as long as my letters get to you – but I’m convinced that when I do get the next batch from you that I will read your letters in sequence, and one each day. The in-between periods are much too lonesome and aggravating.

I’m afraid I’m sounding too blue, darling, but excuse it. I have plenty to be thankful for and I’m not forgetting that. As long as I have your love, I’m happy. I miss you strongly, but that’s natural, and as I’ve said before, that’s a good sign and I expect to keep on missing you. Why – I expect to miss you Sweetheart – if you leave Salem for an afternoon to visit your mother, for example, – so why shouldn’t I miss you now?

So long, dearest – until tomorrow and best of luck in your new job, whatever it is, but keep away from anything male – because you’re mine! You see – I am possessive – but please dear, don’t tell me too much so.

Auf Weidersehen, darling and
All my love for now
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment