13 December, 2010

13 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 515 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Monday, Dec 13, 1943   1800
England


My dearest sweetheart –

For variety’s sake I didn’t write you this p.m. and waited until now, just after supper. Also I hoped to hear from you today, but no luck, dear – and I’ve already used up my ration of two letters from you which I received a few days ago. That last letter, darling, was written November 8 and was a pretty blue one. I guess you expected me to call, and I didn’t. You’ve heard long since how restricted we were at that time, dear, so I know you understand.

In that connection you also made a statement about not being able to write once I left for overseas and until I arrived. I wonder who started that rumor. It’s probably German propaganda, dear. I do hope that since then you’ve learned that was not true, because I’m still waiting desperately to hear from you from Nov. 21st on. As long, darling, as you have any APO number of mine, you can write me at any time. Even if you think my APO number has changed, it makes no difference. It’s always forwarded to our new location – and you just use the latest address you have.

Now having straightened that out, darling, all I have to do is sit back and wait for those letters to roll in. This past week-end was terrible. It just dragged along until I thought Sunday would never end. I did manage to play some bridge part of the p.m. – and it helped kill a couple of hours. Incidentally, I believe I’m improving, to wit – my partner and I trimmed a pretty good team yesterday made up of Charlie and another good player. Charlie plays a very good game – and playing opposite him, I’ve learned a few things. I’ll probably play again tonight, dear. My greatest fault I think is my tendency to under-bid my hand – which is a throwback to the old auction bridge, but I’ll get over it, I guess.

Today, dear, was very cold and gray, but still there’s been no snow. Shortly after lunch, and in deference to your express wish, darling, I went to a neighboring town and looked up a photographer. He didn’t want to take us (I interested another officer in going) because he was too busy for Christmas, but I told him I had left the States without having been able to give my fiancĂ©e a picture of me. He looked quizzically at me as if to say he could understand why, but the result was he said he’d do it. I doubt if this one comes out any better, dear. For one thing, I was frozen, and the British stores, etc. are all kept very cold. I don’t know how they stand it. Anyway, I shall look at the proofs and if anywhere near decent – I’ll have some made. If not, Sweetheart, be patient. I’ll keep trying to get one I think you’ll like of me – right up until the end of the war – even if I have to bring one back in person and hand it to you. If not, we’ll take one together after we’re married.

As each one of these days go by, darling, I think I’m as excited as you are about your graduation. No doubt you’ll tell me all about it, but it would have been so wonderful to have been with you this coming week-end. I would have loved also to be able to send you a gift – but it was impossible. Among other reasons is the paucity of gift items available in this country; also – you have to have points for about everything and the Army is reluctant to issue them or have them issued to the soldiers because it encroaches on the English. I’m now down to looking for little trinkets of one sort or another, but up to now have failed to find even those. I do hope though, dear, that you receive a little card from me wishing you the best of luck.

One thing has worried me the past few days, darling, – the flu epidemic which the U.S. is supposed to be having. You may have read of one here. Don’t worry about me. I’m immune to it and I have felt fine. I do hope there’s none around your way and that you stay well. And do you have to be told to wear your scarf, dear, when you go out, or are you taking care of yourself for me?

Darling, that’s all for now. I have to check some men who want to go on pass and have just got over being sick. They’re not allowed out until I clear them. I miss you dear more than I can express in writing, and I love you just as much. Do you keep reminding yourself of that? Goodnight for now, Sweetheart – and
All my love
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about the Flu Epidemic in December of 1943

[Note from FOURTHCHILD: The following is an excerpt from Atlantic Magazine published in March of 1944, discussing the ongoing flu epidemic and the numbers for December of 1943.]

Although influenza is still far below its 1918-1919 level, we must not be complacent. Some signals are flying. The number of influenza cases, 82,951 reported by our State Department Health for the week ending December 18, 1943, was more than three times greater than the previous week and more than twenty-seven times that of the corresponding week in 1942. While the fight goes on, let us consider what advances have been made since 1918-1919 in the prevention and treatment of influenza and its ally, pneumonia.

[Click here to see the full article, a good read as it discusses the future of "virus" research, some of which remains true today. The following excerpt is an example.:

One can only hope that by "cookbook chemistry," the laborious making and testing of thousands of compounds, or a lucky strike, someone will find an agent which can penetrate our cells and reach the viruses so securely ensconced within them. When this discovery comes, it will be one of the last steps needed for the control of infectious disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment