17 December, 2010

17 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Friday, Dec 17, 1943     2100
England

Dearest Sweetheart –

I hadn’t intended writing tonight dear because I believed I wouldn’t be settled, but here I am again. I didn’t want to lose a day and I don’t have to. In that connection, darling, let me thank you for your sweetness in writing me so constantly even though you haven’t heard from me at all. Your guess as to where I was at a certain time was almost correct. The fact is that I haven’t missed writing you dear since Thanksgiving Day – or did I mention that, dear?

I slowly and by ration method read the 4 letters I received from you the other day. The orchid seems to have lived longer than I thought they could – but at any rate, I’m glad you liked it.

You please me darling when you write that your mother and father are fond of me. That is just what I want, because I’m very fond of them too and don’t let anyone tell you, Sweetheart, that that isn’t a necessary prerequisite to a happy marriage – aside from other factors which we’ve discussed before – and satisfied?

I can understand now, darling, why you re-read my letters, good or bad. I do the same with yours now darling and I too get sad and yet happy when I put them all together and get their true significance. They mean Sweetheart that we’re in love with each other, that we want to be married – and that you’re willing to wait for me until I come back. That knowledge dear is what makes me so happy – the sad part being due to the fact you have to wait for me because of this damned war, and also because of the sweet sentiment you portray in your letters. The latter, dear, I cherish and look forward to with so much anticipation that I’m almost surprised myself.

V-Mail may be quicker, dear – but I don’t use it because somehow I don’t find it satisfactory. Sometimes regular mail takes 2-3 weeks, Air-mail 10 days to 3 weeks, and V-Mail 10 days to 2 weeks. They’re all mixed up and I don’t know. I like your letters as they are dear, as long as I get them.

On Thanksgiving Day I had K-Rations, dear – although I wouldn’t tell my mother or she’d be aggravated. On Christmas I think I’ll have a regular holiday meal from the way the set-up looks here.

I too envy anyone that resembles a couple in love, but what can we do about it. I still think that going overseas was a necessary evil and that any soldier hanging around in the States who doesn’t get over before the war’s end is going to feel left out afterwards. As for being your favorite pin-up man – I’d better hide your letter for fear someone might find it and read that, dear. I know darling that they’re none too sharp but I can’t help it. And I do wish your picture would arrive soon!

Gosh would I love to be going out with you tomorrow night, sweetheart! What would we do and where would we go? I leave the answers to you, dear. But don’t you worry, darling – we’ll be going and doing and having a wonderful time. Just sit tight, dear, and please try to feel that you’re not missing too much. I know what must be running through your mind from time to time – and I’m helpless to do a thing about it. All I can promise you dear is that I’ll do my best when we’re married to make up for any loneliness you had while I was away – and I think I can make it up to you, too, darling.

Sweetheart – there’s so much noise here and confusion I’ll have to stop. For tonight, several of the officers are living in one large barracks. We’ll get settled tomorrow in our own buildings.

In a day or two I’m hoping to hear from you again. I heard today that some of the fellows’ families received cablegrams on Dec 1st. I’m hoping you did, too. So long for tonight, darling, and

All my love for now
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment