18 December, 2010

18 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Dec 18, 1943   1400
England

Darling –

I’m in a hurry now and plan to write you later – but I can get this off in today’s p.m. mail – so I thought I’d jot down a few lines.

I can’t help but wonder what we’d be doing now if I were up at Holyoke with you getting ready for tomorrow. You’ll no doubt tell me everything, dear – and I’m anxious to hear about it.

This place is amazing for its conveniences. I’ll tell you about it when I write a regular letter, later.

That’s all for now, dear – and until later
All my love
Greg
Regards to the family


* TIDBIT *

about V-Mail (Victory Mail)


That V-Mail was faster to arrive than Airmail was never certain, but the tons of shipping avoided by photographing the mail, sending only reels of film, and then processing the film for delivery Stateside was substantial:
  • 150,000 ordinary 1-sheet letters weighed 2,575 pounds in 37 mail sacks
  • 150,000 V-Mail letters (as written) weighed 1,500 pounds in 22 mail sacks
  • 150,000 V-Mail letters (microfilmed) weighed 45 pounds in a single mail sack
Therefore, using V-Mail was encouraged as a patriotic act, as can be seen from this comprehensive web site located in the Smithsonian Postal Museum Online Exhibit: Victory Mail at the Smithsonian Postal Museum.

V-Mail postcards, packaging and posters... all encouraged its use.


Postcard


Packaging


Posters

No comments:

Post a Comment