21 December, 2010

21 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Tuesday, Dec 21, 1943  2030
England

My darling –

Gosh how I miss you tonight and how I missed you today! I miss you all the time, dearest, but you must know what I mean. Every now and then you get it particularly hard; it hurts more, you’re more aware of it, you can’t forget for a moment of the day. Have you felt it, dear? Today and this evening I’ve been that way. No one could have acted as company for me, today, but you, Sweetheart and you just weren’t around. I try these days to push aside the thought of distance between us, dear. I tell myself that you’re near me but that I just can’t see you for one reason or another. It’s only an illusion and doesn’t work too well. Then I re-read your letters and I do feel better – when I realize that you love me and are willing to wait for me. Darling, you just can’t conceive what that thought means to me. Just to know that I’m coming home someday, not to an empty world but to you, dear – gives me so much life and energy to come back, that I pity anyone who is over here and has nothing to look forward to.

I know, sweetheart, that at home people must say that a soldier gets around, sees the world, lives an interesting life and one full of adventure. Let me tell you, dear, that with all the above – life here is just an existence; it is void and empty and not a moment of a day goes by, not an incident occurs – but what you think in terms of home and the girl you love. I don’t mean to imply that it’s the same for everyone. Some of the men and officers apparently are enjoying themselves. I’m speaking for myself. My ties, affection and liaison to you are stronger than they were when I left – if that is possible. In writing to you, darling, and hearing from you – I feel that we are getting closer to each other and I hope that you feel the same way.

I’m glad, darling, that you’re 20 years old. You always made me feel that you were a woman and not a girl, anyway, – but somehow you were still nineteen. The mere change from 19 to 20 somehow makes me feel that we’re closer. I know that sounds silly, but I’m just writing my reactions.

I’m at the hospital now, dear, in the OD’s room. This is my turn for Officer of the Day and I sleep at the hospital tonight. I’m in my room. It’s large, warm, comfortable and convenient. As OD I cover everything that comes in during the day or night. It reminds me of my intern days. So far since returning from the Club I’ve seen a private and a Captain. The former had a cinder in his eye – obtained when he was under his truck checking the exhaust; the latter cut his right thumb while cutting some bologna and trying to drink beer at the same time. I guess that proves that different scales in the Army get different types of casualties.

Earlier this evening I ate at the Club – as usual. Starting with Christmas dinner – we begin to eat at our own battalion officers’ mess. We ought to get turkey on Christmas – although we don’t expect the nuts, fruits etc. Still we won’t complain – because we had K rations for Thanksgiving dinner – and on a train. If I were home, dear – we’d all eat together. We will though. And also on Passover, the New Year – and all such events. It will be fun getting into the car and trekking over to Mattapan or Newton to have dinner with the folks, then saying, “Well, it’s getting late and we have a long ride, so we’d better be going”. So we’ll get in the car again and head for home alone. Can you visualize that, darling? I can and I’m planning on it.

Dear – there’s another call for me to go to the accident room – so I’d better close now. I sometimes say “I love you” somewhere in my letter, don’t I darling? It’s hard to make it sound expressive. When I’m with you I could say it slowly, or softly, or with accentuation. In writing – it’s just “I love you” – but Sweetheart – in my mind and heart – it’s the deepest and sincerest feeling I’ve ever had – and it’s for you only, Wilma – and will always be. Good night for now, darling and take care of yourself.

All my love,
Greg
Fondest regards to your folks.
Love,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment