22 December, 2010

22 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Wed. Dec 22, 1943 1500
England

Dearest Wilma –

I wonder sometimes how my letters must sound, separately or in a bunch. I know I repeat myself often and I hope, dear,  you bear with me. I like to write about everything that happens, within censorship regulations, that is, and writing from one day to the other I often find myself wondering if I mentioned a certain thing or other. Not being certain, I tell you about it anyway and consequently you must read the same thing a few times over, dear.

Telling you I love you doesn’t come under that category, however, sweetheart; it’s a pleasure to do that, just as being able to love you in person would be an even greater enjoyment, no matter how much. I think I would be tireless on the subject – how about you, darling?

Last night when I got through writing to you and my folks, I climbed into bed and read some more of that little book I mentioned to you yesterday or the day before. It’s so light and easy and most enjoyable. They no doubt have it in the States – but I’ll mail this out to you anyway, dear. Read it and save it for our library, although it really isn’t much of a start. I used to have a rather decent collection in college and Med. School. When I started moving from hospital to hospital, I lost track of them one by one – but I probably have a few kicking around here and there. Anyway we can start from scratch and build up one of our own. Say, we’ll have so many things to do – it will be wonderful living together, darling.

At 0700 – someone tapped at my door to awaken me. I was already awake, dear, but just lying in bed thinking of you – I always start and end the day that way, and it isn’t bad at all. Well, I got out of bed, started shaving, washing. About 20 minutes later, someone knocked again. I asked him in and there was a soldier with a breakfast tray for me. Now I won’t get spoiled, darling, but it certainly was nice. So I didn’t even have to go over to the Officers’ mess. After breakfast, I started sick call. Besides our own men – I help with sick call for the other troops here. It ends up as a fairly long morning – but I do get a chance to see more cases and of a more diverse nature too.

Later in the morning, four or five of us read and interpreted the x-rays that were taken the day before and then we made rounds of the hospital patients. The morning, therefore, dear, is fairly full. The afternoons, though, are quite dull and long. I was supposed to play squash late this p.m. – but my opponent has had to take a short trip and may not be back in time before supper.

Yesterday p.m. I went to a nearby town to look for Christmas decorations for the men’s mess halls. I didn’t realize how bare and cold this country really is. Not a store in town, and it’s good sized, had anything resembling Christmas ornaments and the clerks looked surprised when I asked about it. Even Woolworth’s – and they have them all over England – had nothing. They call Woolworth the 3 and 6 stores – 3 pence and 6 pence or a nickel and dime. I also tried to get a pair of sneakers for the squash court and the storekeepers thought I was crazy. Anyway – I couldn’t buy any if they had them because I needed one of those infernal coupons. I ended up by making one purchase – a ribbon which I’m supposed to wear over my left blouse pocket – European Theater of Operations Ribbon.

So there you are sweetheart – all my activities are now up to date. As yet I haven’t been to town of an evening and I don’t think I’ll be going much. I’m entitled to a 48 hour pass one of these days and Pete and I are planning to go to London and perhaps Cambridge. London, they say, is very dead – with nothing to do after 1200 – but we’ll just want to look around.

Darling I wish I’d hear from you again – but nothing doing so far since over a week ago; Maybe soon. I’ll stop now, dear, wishing that I were able to say ‘so long’ with a hard kiss or 12, but what’s the use? I’ll just save them up. Really, dear, you owe me 2864 kisses and don’t you dare tell me your lips won’t be tired. So long for now, dearest and

All my love
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about the European Theater of Operations Ribbon


This campaign ribbon was created, by order of President Franklin D. Roosevelt on 6 November 1942, to recognize those who served in the European Theater, including North Africa and the Middle East, during WWII. The green-white-red band to the right of the first brown field represents Italy. The blue-white-red band in the middle represents the France. The white-black-white band represents Germany. The brown and green bands represent the battlefields, across the sands of Africa and the fields and mountains of Europe.

1 comment:

  1. It makes more sense if the blue-white-red band in the middle represents France, not the US. Their flags have the same colors, but France, with its tricolor flag, was a battlefield in Europe, like Italy and Germany.

    ReplyDelete