25 December, 2010

25 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Saturday, Dec. 25, 1943 1630
England

Dearest darling –

Somehow it isn’t much like Christmas today here. Perhaps it’s because we didn’t have any Turkey for dinner. For one reason or another we’re having our Turkey dinner this evening. It really makes little difference – because it seems that every one here is rather blue, not only the officers in our outfit – but the other officers as well. A few of them last night at the club tried to tie one on with liquor and forget, but it didn’t materialize, from what I could notice. The rest sat around, no one did much singing, most waited around for the movie – and it was just another night.

The movie was “The Moon is Down” – Steinbeck’s picture – which again I had seen before. It was a poor choice for Christmas Eve – but they put on what they get. I stayed around until the end because some of our officers were seeing the picture and I wanted to talk with them after the show. Pete was there and we had a little get together and reminisced for awhile. Then I came back here to my room and listened to the radio – and that made me even more lonesome. I tuned in on a program being broadcast from Cambridge. It was a dance run for American soldiers by the City and they were hooked up with the Mutual Broadcasting System Co. and the boys were allowed to say “hello” etc. on the mike. Well – it would have been very easy for me to have been at the dance, had I known they were going to have that there – but it was now about 2200 and much too late to go. You might not have been listening anyway at that time of day, anyway, dear.

I once promised my mother that if I ever got to London I would try to broadcast on the Eagle Club program. Did you ever hear it, dear? It’s a re-broadcast program on Saturday evening about 1900 and is just a series of ‘hellos’ etc. But I think the program is done on a Thursday p.m. and I would have to be in London at that time. I may give it a try, though.

This p.m. – the radio is filled with propaganda from both sides. First I heard the Archbishop of Canterbury, then a German re-broadcast of Dr. Goebbels's speech, then Roosevelt’s message to the soldiers, and so on and on. It’s all a lot of bunk, no matter how you look at it, darling, and the unmitigated fact is that all the good wishes put together don’t help one bit in making you feel much better.

A little while ago I tuned in on the American Forces program and heard the short wave broadcast from Hollywood with Bob Hope as Master of Ceremonies, J. Durante, F. Langford, Duffy’s Tavern, Ginny Sims, Kay Keyser, Nelson Eddy and a couple of more. Next to a letter, sweetheart, so far that has turned out to be the best thing to cheer up a guy – not necessarily because of the humor but because they remind you so much of home.

[Note: You can listen to that recording on the entry for 3 January, 1944]

In a little while, dear, I’m going up to the Club, eat, and try to kill another evening. I thought so hard of you today, darling, and wondered what you were doing and whether you were missing me as much as I miss you.

I’ll stop now, darling. Still no mail from you or home. Some of the boys got some today and maybe I’ll hear soon. I sure hope so, dear. I love you, darling, and always remember that – no matter how blue I may sound in my letters, if I’m blue dear – it’s because I have to be away from you – but I’ll get over it as soon as I get back. So long for now, sweetheart – and all my deepest love for now.
Greg

P.S. Regards to your folks, dear. Excuse my blue letter, darling. That’s one thing I hate to do – but I try not to do it often. As a matter of fact – just having written you makes me feel better, darling – and by the way – you now owe me 3014 kisses. Don’t ask me what system I use – but I’m keeping score
Love,
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment