26 December, 2010

26 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Sunday, Dec. 26, 1943 1630
England

My darling –

Sunday afternoon – and how I used to love Sundays this past summer! Ever since that first Sunday when I waited until Sunday morning to make a date with you, our dates became natural for the entire week-end, remember? And they were all so pleasant and real. There was a young American civilian around here the other day, a representative of Boeing, wearing civilian clothes and boy did I wince. But in 19 mos. in the Army, I did manage to get a suit on once, anyway.

There’s a lot of good tweed around here by the way. We’re using British blankets, and any one of them could be used to make a very fine suit. But I’ll stick to Harvard Square, I guess – and when I get my first suit after the war, darling, you come along and see if you like it, because you’ll be seeing me in it all the time and you might as well like what I get. English shoes are available to us thru the Quartermaster – but I don’t need any.

Today was very quiet – and shortly after dinner it became almost intolerable – the rest of the officers had to work – we’re on a 7 day week here – but there wasn’t anything for the medical corps. Finally we managed to get a bridge game going at the Club and I’ve just returned from there. I had never played with my partner before. He was good and we won by about 1700 points. It helped kill a couple of hours, dear.

Last night we had a very nice Turkey dinner with the ‘works’. I’m enclosing a menu and sweetheart we actually had everything printed on it. I could hardly move when I got through. We were supposed to have a game of squash, but by mutual agreement my partner and I agreed to call it off. It was just as well because I was still getting over a game of the day before. In lunging for a low ball at one time, I left my right thigh in one part of the court and the rest of my body traveled over the rest of the court, the net result being that I walked like a kangaroo for about two hours afterward and could hardly get my shoes off. But I heal quickly darling and today I’m fit as a fiddle and twice as agile.

So we sat around and waited for the movie and hurrah – I finally hit one I hadn’t seen before – although it was definitely Class C – “Murder in Times Square” with Edmund Lowe et alia. After the movie – it was back to quarters again and bed.

I hope, dearest, that you don’t mind my repeating almost hour for hour – what I’ve done for a particular day. Honestly, darling, there’s nothing else to write about – and yet I don’t want to bore you. You once said you found my letters interesting and I would like them to remain so – until I can be interesting to you in person.

By the way, dear, are you keeping the little pieces of nothing which we started to collect? I’ve managed to “pick” up a thing or two since which we’ll be able to add to our collection. I’d like to send them to you – but they’re breakable and I guess I’ll hang onto them.

Darling, it would be nice to hear from you soon. I’m reading the print off the letters I already have – and the parts which you say you love me are wearing off. Gosh, I ought to have a lot coming to me very soon. I know that you must now have my APO 515 number because they’re coming through regularly now – and I’m just sitting by and waiting for mine. They say doctors are good waiters. If I ever was wanting in that quality before, I’m certainly getting good practice now dear. If you’re late from Bridge Club – I’ll just sit and wait for you without batting an eyelash. Now it’s hard to get husbands like that.

That’s all for now, Sweetheart, except to remind you I’m very much in love with you and that you’re always in my thoughts – always. Be well, dear, and wait for me. So long, darling, and

All my love
Greg

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

On this Christmas Dinner Menu, 1943,
Greg indicates that "Station AAF 595
Somewhere in England" is Honington.

No comments:

Post a Comment