28 December, 2010

28 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Tuesday, Dec. 28, 1943  1500
England

Dearest Wilma –

Is it all right for you to write me freely, frank and revealingly? I’ll say it is! That’s the way I write and I therefore enjoy it in you. I’m referring to the 2nd of 3 letters I received from you two days ago. I read this one today. It was dated Nov. 28 and you said you were a little blue and didn’t have much to write.

And yet I enjoyed that letter as much as any you’ve written me, for it’s frankness and sincerity. You promised to tell me in the letter of the next day why you believed you loved me. Whatever the reason, darling, I’m very happy over it. As for your being fickle, dear – you never were with me. Whenever I referred to your age, sweetheart, it was not because you seemed young to me at all. I believe we got along wonderfully well from point of view of age. It was merely that I couldn’t help but think that after all your chronological age was about 20, and how was a girl that age qualified to say whether or not she really loved a man and wanted to marry him? I know, darling, that that is happening all the time all around us – but that doesn’t necessarily guarantee it – the mere fact that it is being done. Just as often as not it ends unhappily, and that too is seen all around us, with the young husband chasing around and getting mature with other women, and the young wife unhappy or not caring. I’ve seen such cases – and maybe it’s because I wanted to be sure, that I waited so long, myself. I wanted to be certain I was stable and could take care of a wife – before I married, and I wanted to be sure I was loved by the one I loved. Your age worried me, a little dear – when I first realized I was enjoying your company so much and later when I knew how much I cared. You can make me no happier than when you write as you do that despite my being away you feel you love me even stronger because that shows maturity. I love to have you say we ought not have any secrets from one another and that you can write things to me with the assurance that I’ll understand. When you write like that, I know you hold me closer to yourself than anyone but your folks – and Sweetheart, that’s the way I feel about you. The question of secrets etc. – has never entered my mind – in relationship to you. When I think of you and myself – it is always as one person. When I write to you – I write my thoughts, ideas, activities everything just as I experience them. Anything else would lead to suspiciousness, distrust and loss of love.

It’s strange, dearest, that what you wrote on the 29th of November – is so very close to what I wrote somewhere around the same date – as you’ve probably found by now. I can’t help feeling that when I write you, dear, you’re somewhere listening to me. It helps me tremendously to feel like that and I hope you can use your imagination or telepathic powers to the same extent.

I love the way you asked me whether or not I was writing whenever I got the chance. You probably have the answer by now, sweetheart. I’m sure the mail-man has the answer, anyway. I’m so anxious to get my first letter from you telling me you’ve heard from me. Frankly I can hardly remember what I wrote because I put it mildly when I say life was a whirl on the boat, as were the first several days after landing. It was all so strange and we were all so keyed up emotionally. I’m sure I must have repeated many many times that I loved you – because I recall writing you that from the 1st or 2nd day out. I wonder if you got the letter or letters written on the boat. I probably wrote a lot that wasn’t allowed and it’s possible they never let it go through. Anyway, I started writing then dear and I shall continue – as you shall see, darling. Your own letters have come thru, and from the dates I can gather that none were lost, dear.

Again, sweetheart, thanks for a very lifting letter which has left me very happy. Don’t change your mind about me darling and I’ll stay happy. For now –

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment