29 December, 2010

29 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Wednesday, Dec 29, 1943 2105
England

My dearest sweetheart –

I have just left the Club, having walked out of the picture that was being shown. I had seen it a long time ago.

Today I had the pleasure, darling, of reading the letter you wrote me on November 29, exactly one month ago and I notice, dear, that you too were beginning to start you letters with “Still no word from you!” I know just how you were feeling and I hope your next several letters show you managed to keep your spirits up. I know when you got my cablegram and I believe that by the 14th-15th of December you first got some of my letters. From then on dear I think you must have received a good many of my letters.

You too notice the songs on the radio – I see. Some of them really hit home, don’t they dear? Yes I’ve heard “It Must Be Real” and I like it. One they play a great deal here is Noel Coward’s “I’ll See You Again” which I believe I mentioned the other day. The words are very nice and particularly the part that says “time may hang heavy in dreams, but what has been is past forgetting etc.” I like that a great deal, darling.

I dream too of being married to you and living in Salem. I have never dreamed about your cooking, though, dear – and so I can’t tell you how I like it – although I have no doubt I will. In my dreams we fit into Salem very well together and we’re very happy. I don’t seem to dream about where we’re living, darling and all in all I’m afraid I’m not a very practical dreamer. Are you sure sweetheart that the one room you dreamed about wasn’t the bedroom?

Today – and for the first time in a long spell I heard from my brother. It was a nice long letter and was very welcome. Incidentally the post-mark was the 13th of December – so I can’t understand why your letters come so much slower. The latest letter from you is post-marked Nov. 30, written the 29th.

Lawrence told me he had received my cablegram and implied you had too. He said you were planning to go over to my house and I do hope you did by now dear, several times. I want you to know my family well, sweetheart – so we can all be on equal terms, because I’m going to get to know you and love you more and more – despite the damned war.

I also learned my car was sold for $835. Which I suppose isn’t bad considering my father took my tires, and considering it needed some fixing. I felt kind of funny reading that it was no longer mine. It was a lucky car for me in many ways dear and certainly got me started on the right road – up to and including meeting you, dear. But we now have $835. more in the bank. Before I left I told my father to deposit whatever money he got for the car in a separate account. After the war that ought to make a good start for another car, darling; only this time you’ll go with me when I buy it – so you can express your wishes too; all right?

Lawrence and I have always been close, dear, but I’ve never been able to actually find out why he won’t go out and be more social. You did write me back in the States that you had heard he was going to a dance. I was amazed. He intimated in his letter that he was changing a little, but not very much. I wish he would a lot, because he leads a rather lonely life and it makes my parents sad. I don’t know just what it is dear – and I suppose he wouldn’t like the idea of my discussing it but I feel so close to you and consider you a member of the family anyway. If on occasion, Sweetheart, when you might have an opportunity to talk with him alone – maybe you can in an offhand sort of way get his ideas. Nothing would please me better than to hear that he’s going out with some nice girls and enjoying himself.

My folks would be tickled, and yet it’s not the sort of subject you can just bring up in front of everybody. Let me know what you think, will you dear?


Darling you are very sweet and lovable when you write me that you love me and that you will be waiting for me when I come back. You can’t really imagine what it is to read that in your letters, and all I can say sweetheart is that I love you very much and that you’ve made me truly and realistically happier than I’ve been ever before. Yes dear, that’s true and for it in return you will always have my deepest and greatest
Love
Greg
Sincerest regards to your folks
G.

* TIDBIT *

about "I'll See You Again"

Here's a rendition of "I'll See You Again" composed by Noel Coward and performed by Lily Pons as it was recorded live in 1943 and played on Armed Forces Radio around the time that Greg was listening. The lyrics follow, and may be helpful to read as you listen to Lily sing.



"I'll See you Again" composed by Noel Coward

LYRICS

I'll see you again
When ever spring breaks through again
Time may lie heavy---between
But what has been is past forgetting
This sweet memory
Across the years will come to me
Though my world may go awry
In my heart will ever lie
Just an echo of a sigh
Goodbye

All my life I shall remember knowing you
All the pleasure I have found in showing you
The different ways that one may phrase
The changing light and changing shade
Happiness that must die
Melodies that must fly
Memories that must fade
Dusty and forgotten by and by

I'll see you again
When ever spring breaks through again
Time may lie heavy---between
But what has been is past forgetting
This sweet memory
Across the years will come to me
Though my world may go awry
In my heart will ever lie
Just an echo of a sigh

Goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment