30 December, 2010

30 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Thursday, Dec 30, 1943 1830
England

Dearest sweetheart –

Great day in the morning! Today – a little while ago as a matter of fact I hit the jackpot with 5 letters from you, dear, one from my brother, one from my father, two from my nephew – and a $6.00 check from an insurance company. Boy oh boy! Talk about your pick ups – that certainly made a new man out of me. Your latest one was dated Dec. 6th and you’re still way behind my father’s letter which was dated December 20th! That is very unusual – even for air-mail. I read that one first dear in which my father told me you were going to be at our house the following week – I hope you made it dear and had a good time.

My nephew wrote me two cute letters and informed me that he and Barbara prayed for me every night.

I’ve been writing my folks V-mail because I usually write only a few lines to tell them everything is O.K. My brother seems to think that Airmail would come quicker. From what I can gather, darling, it’s hard to say. Sometimes an Airmail letter gets on a plane and the service is good; other times it goes by boat and becomes airmail only in the States. Even V-mail doesn’t always get flown over. All we can do, Sweetheart, is write and hope for the best service. I’m sure that by now, dear, you must be hearing from me – and I’m sorry you were worried. It must have been much worse for you, darling, and in that connection I know what you must have meant when you wrote in an earlier letter that you hadn’t wanted to get involved with anyone during the war. That, sweetheart – is a hard thing to control, isn’t it?

You answered a question in your letter post-marked Dec. 1 – that I didn’t want to ask you – namely your plans about New Year’s Eve. You know what I wished you would do – but I had no right to ask that of you, I know. When you wrote that you were going to a “hen” party and tabulated the score – I laughed and was very pleased. But in what class did you put yourself, darling?

I understand from my father’s letter that Mrs. T. and Barbara were over my house one Sunday. I think it was swell of them to drop over and see my folks. I’m sorry you never quite got to meet them – but I’m sure when you do you’ll like them, dear. I also got a Christmas card from Virginia L. You remember she was the girl we did meet when we dropped into my former office?

I can think of nothing better, Sweetheart, than to spend evenings together with you, listening to the radio, talking, kissing and – well you know. I think of it so often and live it in mind so much that I know it will come true. It can’t miss. It’s surprising how sure I feel about you and me. After all – we have known other people for longer periods of time; I have, I know, but believe me, darling, I never felt about anyone the way I do about you. We just got along so well, had so many things in common, and so many other things that go to make compatibility in married life.

I’m sorry I can’t emulate your short-hand style, but better watch out, sweetheart, or I’ll have you taking dictation when I first get started. I shall insist on having you sit on my lap – or vice versa, of course!

At any rate, dearest, I love you too, anyway you look at it and always keep in mind that I’m thinking of you all the time I’m away from you. Good night for now, Sweetheart and you have

All my love,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment