31 December, 2010

31 December, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Thursday, Dec 31, 1943 2335
England

Dearest darling –

In a letter of yours which was written December 2, you end up in a dead heat as to whether or not it would have been wise to be engaged. As I look at it now, dear, I too sometimes wish I hadn’t been so sensible – and yet if I had tried to rush things, dear, your folks wouldn’t have liked it too much and would undoubtedly have thought less of me. I left nothing tangible to you, sweetheart, as a token of an engagement – and yet I consider myself engaged to you. All that is needed is a consummation of it the moment I return. I don’t want you to feel that you just know me very well, or are attached to me – or anything else like that, darling. You have me like no one you’ve ever had before and that’s the way I want it to be.

I got another letter from my father today, an earlier one than the one I mentioned yesterday. In it he mentioned that when my cablegram arrived at your house, your mother called to tell my folks. That was an awfully thoughtful and sweet gesture, sweetheart, and will you please thank your mother for it?

Last night we went to the club and saw “Mrs. Miniver” which I had missed in the States. It was really a well done movie and I’m glad I saw it. A few of the boys had seen it before and they said that somehow it seemed to ring more true – now that they were in England and had seen and met some of its people. Certain it is that I was really impressed with it, and it isn’t hard to look anywhere and not find evidence of all the hell these people took 3 or so years ago.

Today I had to run around a bit and finally ended up getting the month’s pay for the men. This evening I was blue, darling; the evening dragged, everyone felt just a trifle down. Three of us decided to go to the neighboring town. So we did, dear. We left at 2015 and returned at 2230 – which gives you an idea of what a night it was. We walked the streets looking for a place to get a drink. These towns are so damned dark – you just can’t find your way around. We never did find a pub. Everything was closed – so we got into the truck and came back. At our own Officers’ mess we have beer and I’m in the mess hall or 438th Officers’ Club now. There are 8 of us here – some playing cards, others writing. In 4 minutes, darling (Mido time) it is going to be 1944 and we’re going to get up and drink a toast – but right before that, my sweetheart – I want to wish you a Happy New Year, one which will bring you what you want in life and one which will bring us together, safe and sound and with our families to share in our happiness. I wish all this with everything that is in my power to wish, sweetheart. It is now exactly midnight, dearest, and in my mind and heart I am now holding you tightly and kissing you. --------------------------- We have just stood up, toasted each other, sipped some beer and sung Auld Lang Syne. Big Ben is beating out its chimes on the radio – and darling I miss you more than I can possibly describe to you at this moment. I feel cheated at not being with you now – but still – last year, sweetheart – I didn’t know you – and so last year when I wished for a Happy New Year – God was kind, He gave me you ----------------------

I’ll close darling – in the early minutes of 1944. I’ll be going to bed soon – with thoughts of you. I’ll write tomorrow – and until then – Good luck, dear, Happy New Year – and

All my love
Greg
P.S. The wishes are for your folks, too.
Love, G.

* TIDBIT *

about "Mrs. Miniver"


The trailer

Some Background "Mrs. Miniver" was produced by MGM and directed by William Wyler in 1942. The winner of 6 Academy awards, "Mrs. Miniver" was a war-time propaganda tear-jerker that Winston Churchill declared more influential in getting America involved in WWII than a fleet of destroyers. Director William Wyler, born in Germany, strongly believed that the US should enter the war and acknowledged that his concern about American isolationism was a primary motive for making the film. There was not a single battle scene in this war film, yet through its portrayal of the hardships suffered and overcome by a middle-class English family during the Blitz, Americans came to sympathize with what their British equivalents were undergoing at the time. Support for American involvement in the European war rose dramatically. When the movie was completed, Wyler joined the US Army. He was posted to the Signal Corps and was overseas on the night he won his first Oscar.

Short Summary This story of an English middle class family during the early years of World War II is about Clem Miniver, (Walter Pigdeon), a successful architect, and his beautiful wife Kay, (Greer Garson), who is the glue that holds the family together. Kay is busy with two young children at home in a quaint English village. She is well-liked by all she meets, even having had a new rose named after her by the station master. When their son, Vin, comes home from Oxford for the summer he falls quickly for the upper-class Carol Beldon (Theresa Wright), granddaughter of Lady Beldon (Dame May Whitty). In September of 1939, England is forced to declare war on Germany, shattering their idyllic life. Vin joins the RAF and everyone has to put up with the hardship of war including blackouts and air raids. Mrs. Miniver deals with a downed German pilot, (Richard Ney), who makes his way to her home while Clem is helping to evacuate the trapped British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk. Vin and Carol get married in spite of differences in social strata, but their time together is to be short. Throughout it all, everyone displays strength of character in the face of tragedy and destruction.

Major Plot Factual Error In the movie, Mrs. Miniver finds a downed German pilot in her garden while her husband is away helping to evacuate British soldiers at Dunkirk. In fact, the action at Dunkirk occurred in late May and early June, 1940. The Germans did not begin flying bombing raids over Britain until July, 1940, so no German pilot could possibly have been shot down over England at the time of the Dunkirk operation.

Rousing Speech This clip of the speech made by the vicar, (Henry Wilcoxin), was worked and re-worked by the director and actor well into the night before the shooting, so they could impart as much impact as possible. The result was believed to be so inspiring that it was subsequently translated into various languages and air-dropped into German-occupied territory. By request of US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the speech was broadcast over the Voice of America. It was also reprinted in both "Time" and "Look" magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment