02 January, 2011

02 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster N.Y.
England
Sunday, January 2, 1944  2100
Dearest sweetheart –

The mail is finally starting to approach something like what it should be, although it is still jumpy and difficult to figure out. Today, darling, I received two letters from you – one a V-mail dated Dec 13th and the other an Airmail dated Dec 20th. That would certainly make it look as if Airmail were preferable – but it’s not constant. At any rate, dear, I was tickled at hearing from you and to know that my letters were finally reaching you.

In that connection – I wonder whether you got the letters I mailed to Wilder. Some of them no doubt arrived after you left school, and I hope you arranged to have your mail forwarded to your home. Incidentally, in reference to your question about your mail being censored, to the best of my knowledge, it is not. By that I mean – no one I know or heard of has ever received a letter from the States that has been opened. They do censor outgoing mail – but as we understand it – only from civilian to civilian.

One other thing, darling. In reference to receiving your mail, I’ve mentioned this before – the sequence may be all fouled up but every letter eventually gets to its destination, and if you see a change in APO numbers, don’t mind, dear – the change is taken care of at the base post office and all the old APO numbers are canceled.

I have not yet received your picture, sweetheart, and you can well imagine that I’m anxiously awaiting it. I can see it before me now, that is, I can visualize it – but I’d rather actually see it. It ought to arrive soon.

The gap in your mail, as it now exists, is that I lack the letters from the 7th to the 13th (Dec). I have the one of the 13th, am missing the 14th to the 19th and the very latest, dear, is the one of the 20th. In that one you don’t mention any of my letters, but I’m sure you must have received some after the V-mail of the 13th – even though they had to be forwarded.

On the 20th, darling, you were in bed with a cold, and it would have been nice taking care of you. By your statements – I gathered that your mother and grandmother were ill at the time of graduation and you’ll probably explain in your previous letters. I assume it was the “flu” and I can imagine how disappointed all of you were that your immediate family couldn’t attend your graduation. But you can’t fool around with the flu and you all showed good judgment.

By the way, darling, did you get my card to you from Carey’s on your graduation day, or the day before? I took care of that by telegram and I wonder if they got it straight.

I received one letter from Stan and have written him 2 or 3 V-mails. He wrote that he had seen you once and that you “mentioned” me quite a lot. That’s the spirit, darling! He tells me he thinks you’ll wait for me and that I’ll have a swell girl to marry. As if I didn’t know. He also stated that he was seeing Shirley about 3 times a week and that things are about the same. I wonder how things really are with them. As you know, despite some faults – and we all have them – I like Stan a heluva lot and I would like to see him happily married. He’s had a tough go of it and deserves some happiness. I hope he gets it.

As for you and me, sweetheart, I know we were meant for each other, and with every letter, both written and received, I am more sure of it. The fact that you re-iterate your love for me, the fact that a month or more after I last saw you, you still keep me foremost in your mind – is convincing me that you really will wait darling; not that I doubted your statements, but time is a peculiar thing and can cause strange reactions. Needless to say, dear, I’m pleased beyond words that you impress your folks with your love for me. Regardless of how skeptical they may have been in the beginning, they are bound to be impressed after a time.

I marvel at both of us at what we accomplished in relatively so short a time – and when you think of it, you can’t blame parents who are admittedly so fond of you – for not jumping at conclusions. I think you know, Sweetheart, that I like your folks very very much and I know I will love them as I do mine – and that’s a great deal. What I want to do is to have them love me as a son – and if I make you happy, they will. Making you happy, darling, will be a wonderful thing, and I know a hundred different ways of doing it too. I know that it’s easy to brag, dear, but I love you so much that I know I will devote myself to you and your happiness. You know me fairly well, Sweetheart, but you don’t know a lot about me. I can tell you this, though, – that my inherent nature is such that I love a home and what it stands for. I love to be in that home – with those I love and the outside world is entirely secondary. I never was one for much running around alone and you can be sure of this, wherever I go, you go. I think you’ll find I don’t drink very much or gamble and as for other women, darling – I’m a one woman man. A lot of promises I know – but I’m like my father in many respects – and he was always like that and I’ve admired him for it. It will always be – the Alexanders were here or there, not Dr. Alexander and that, darling, is the way it should be.

A lot of things about married life we never got to discuss – and that’s why I’m mentioning some of them now. We must not let the lapse of time catch us napping, darling. We must continue to get to know each other and each other’s ideas – so that when the day comes – the most natural thing in the world will be for us to become engaged and married without delay. Agreed?

Sweetheart, that’s all for this sitting. By the way – I’m at the hospital again – O.D. for the day and nite. Send my best regards to your family and Grandmothers, Phil, Bea, J and J – and I trust all are now well. And you can tell your folks, without doubt, that I was and am very much in love with you and that it was not just a summer Romance. Goodnite, Sweetheart – and

All my love
Greg
P.S. I like any kind of bed!
L,
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment