07 January, 2011

07 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
Friday, January 7, 1944   1500
Dearest Sweetheart -

It’s a dark, light-rainy Friday here in England – but I don’t feel too blue, somehow. I’m in the battalion area and it’s quiet here. My radio is playing and I’ve just re-read several of your most recent letters. I can’t tell you, darling, how much I’ve enjoyed your letters – particularly the last few. Despite the holiday season and all that goes with it – you seem genuinely happy to be in love with me – and you can’t imagine how happy I am in that realization.

Your determination not to go out should change, dear – only so you won’t get too bored sitting around waiting for me. On the other hand, nevertheless, I hope you make it clear that you belong to me, by engagement or any other way you want to put it, darling. Mind you – if you had enough diversion – I certainly wouldn’t want you to go out with anyone but me. Where I am – there are many officers about me, we hang around together of an evening, play bridge, see the movies etc. – and anyway, I’m at war and shouldn’t expect to go out. As I wrote you before darling, use your own judgment. You must know, though, that I’m glad you had the will-power not to plan on New Year’s Eve. I would have felt queer – as I’m sure I will anytime I do find you’ve been out. As for Stan’s not telling you you should – I rather think that’s our affair or an affair involving your family’s wishes and you – and none of his. I still can’t make Stan out. If you remember – in our early days, we found he was telling you one thing, and me another. I don’t like that.

Well – I was glad to hear that Murray L. was around and happy. He’s got quite a start on us though, hasn’t he dear? As for what he said about me that you won’t tell me, sweetheart, I hope it was good.

I was interested in your one statement that you would have your license when I got back. That’s good, dear – it’s almost a necessity these days. I trust your fan in your car has been fixed etc.

Your mention of my birthday makes me wince, dear. It does seem as if I might have stayed around a little while longer before coming here. Just think, dear – we missed your Birthday, Thanksgiving, Graduation (and I am proud of you, darling), Christmas, New Year’s and my Birthday. That’s a lot of celebrating we owe each other and I’m not forgetting it either! But to get back to your mention of a gift, darling. It looks as if your picture won’t arrive until about time for my birthday and that will certainly be the best and most precious gift I could receive from you. Really, dear, there’d be no point in your sending me anything now. I appreciate the thought, sweetheart, and thank you anyway.

Talking of sending reminds me that I’ll try and send out a couple of Martini glasses to you, hoping they won’t break, dear. If I hold on to them – they’ll probably be lost or broken. It’s to add to our selection. I also have a couple of odd knives, forks and ash trays. Mind you – it’s nothing valuable, not matched and will look like junk – but it’s for us to reminisce over. We’ll have one shelf or something in our house – with stuff like that – so if you get a box some day – don’t be overjoyed, it will merely be what I’ve enumerated above.

I wonder if your mother and all of you are really over your collective colds. I hope so, dear. As for your mother giving up smoking, I hope so for her sake. She was really doing too much of it. If she has resumed – tell her to take it easy, dear. You’re a fine one to be telling her, though.

Darling, that’s all for now except to say I’m really and truly deeply in love with you and I’m extremely happy and content over the thought that you love me too. Just stay that way, dear – and we’ll be a very happy couple – you’ll see. So long, darling, sincerest regards to the family and
All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment